drilling acrylic

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by dv123, Apr 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dv123

dv123 Astrea Snail

well the reason for drilling inside is because the tank is about 4 inches from the wall and i have 2 or 3 drills from work but nothing i can think of to fit. it my be easier and more practical to just make some kind of siphoning device rather than drilling it

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

that kind of idea would lose syphon during a power outtage and when the power came back on, the sump pump would pump all of your water from the sump into your DT and overflow it.

4. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

If you could make a temporary catch pan to catch any shavings, that would seem to be common sense. would maybe cut a piece of wood a 1/4" bigger then your width and bump it in so it's snug and wont fall in. Maybe throw a trash bag under that wood and drape it over the sides....
    or better yet take a 60 gallon yard bag for leaves and tape it like a valley under where you plan on making that hole...

Attached Files:

5. szrazzt

szrazzt Purple Spiny Lobster

Acrylic is inert so worst case is you end up with shavings floating around. They shouldnt harm anything in your tank. If it gets to hot the fumes might though.

6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

in order for a clean cut acrylic needs to cut from both sides

tough spot to be in, can you take out most of the water and move the tank away from the wall on its stand? shavings wont bother the tank

7. dv123

dv123 Astrea Snail

i think im just going to get some acrylic about the same thickness and see what i can figure out

8. Click Here!

9. Blkburban

Blkburban Astrea Snail

i only had to take out 10 gals from my 50 to be able to slide the tank/stand away from the wall to drill it. i drilled from the outside holding a cheap plastic Kritter cage on the inside to catch all the shavings.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I know that guy :)

11. dv123

dv123 Astrea Snail

yeah i can try that too. i have a 55 and ten gallons isnt too much and everything should still be under water

12. trent51593

trent51593 Coral Banded Shrimp

Not to hi jack the thread but could you do the same with a glass tank if its filled and just emptied down far enough, like half or more??