Drilling a glass tank

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Wolffvet, Jan 6, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wolffvet

Wolffvet Astrea Snail

I am moving and must tear down my tank and figured this would be the best time to drill it. My question is can I drill the tank myself? I am fairly sure that no one where I live that does this. If I can do it myself exactly what kind of bit do I need to get and are there any specific instructions I need to follow?
    Thanks [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. Christian

Christian Plankton

You need a diamond tipped glass hole saw and a steady hand. You also need to use something to contain coolant (antifreeze, or even water) around the hole-to-be. Take your time and don't try to push the saw thru.

Christian Schwalm
    SkyLab
    www.wetdryfilter.com

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Like Christian said, use a coolent (water usually works fine for me on 1/2" and under), let gravity do your work (no pressure) and use a drill press. I got my drill bits from Sommer and Maca I belive, when I get home I'll get you a website or contact info for them. They've got the cheapest prices I've found yet.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

In the shop, we used to use a giant rubber o-ring to act as a 'dam' to hold the coolant, but you can also use some putty.

Here is a link I've kept around for diamond bits at reasonable prices:

http://www.shopsmartxpress.com/AmeriGls/W9.htm

Also take a look at your glass, if it's tempered, it can shatter if you are not really really good with the drill.

6. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Hey Christian forgot to mention that skylab has greta deals on drill bits and such for drilling tanks I have visited the site often and though haven't ordered yet you might want to check it out here is his sig with the link again
    Christian Schwalm
    SkyLab
    www.wetdryfilter.com

7. Wolffvet

Wolffvet Astrea Snail

I appreciate the help guys. I am thinking about calling a few of the glass companies around me to see if they might do it. If not I might just stick with the external overflow as I do not have the funds at the moment to buy a new tank if it were to break. :)
    Thanks again

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

If its temperred, the stores won't touch it with a 10 foot pole. What kind of tank, er, what brand of tank is it? Size matters as well, what size?

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

If its temperred, the stores won't touch it with a 10 foot pole. What kind of tank, er, what brand of tank is it? Size matters as well, what size?

Oops, forgot about the dam, thanks Matt. I simply use modelling clay and form it myself.

11. da colts

da colts Skunk Shrimp

at the lfs i work at, we use vegatable oil and a toilet bowl ring to hold the oil. hey gresham, is that the same cortez marine that steve robinson is associated with? if so tell steve that joe from fishworld in chesterfield va says hello.

12. cannon2222

cannon2222 Spaghetti Worm

I've drilled a couple of tanks with just plain water coming from a water hose at medium pressure. It's the same setup that I use in making rx eyeglasses, no dam, or putty or anything. Just take a break every few minutes with the water running to be on the safe side.

phil