driftwood problem

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by Forestisskiing, Jun 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Forestisskiing

Forestisskiing Astrea Snail

I've added some two toned African driftwood in my 30 gal tank. But before i did I soaked it for two weeks. Changing water everyday, sometimes twice a day. Then after those two weeks I boiled the driftwood for two hours. Changing the water half way thru the boil. My problem is. My water in tank is so stained I can barely see thru my tank. Im doing 30% water changes every week. What else can I do? :help:

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Use lots of carbon and/or Purigen. Change the carbon often and regenerate the Purigen as soon as it becomes exhausted. You will have tea colored water for years when you use root wood. Manzanita is the wood of choice.

4. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

There's really not much you can do. Aside from taking it out and continue with what you were doing. Sometimes it takes a long time for the tannis to completely leach out of the wood.
    I once had a large piece in my 75 that leached for an entire year :( But I was keeping Discus so I didn't mind :) But to remove the majority of the color I used a Magnum 350 canister filter using the Micron Filter. It helps a lot!

1 person likes this.
  5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That is another great tool.