Dried Seaweed Question

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by kcbrad, Mar 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I got a pygmy angel recently and I know I need nori or another type of dried seaweed for the little guy. The only LFS that had any was Petco, and it was the last package there - and it looks old! The package is dusty, dirty, etc. There is no expiration date on the seaweed though.

Would it be okay to feed that, or does dried seaweed go bad?

Thanks! (K to you!)

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. slocal

slocal Doot!

It does have a shelf life like flake food. Does it have a protective plastic film or is it just in a snap case?

Good luck getting your pygmy to eat the nori. My flame angel won't touch the stuff. She eats herbivore flake and spirulina flakes for a proper diet.

1 person likes this.
  4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Well, Diver's Den claims he was eating it - but I dunno! I put some in yesterday and he tried it a couple times. Didn't seem impressed. But this morning it was gone! So I dunno what happened to it. lol

It's just in a snap plastic case. I'm going to buy some more off the internet today, as well as some brown and red algae. Just wondering if I can feed it until I get the new stuff....worries me! I think it's weird how there's no date on it...this stuff could be 5 years old and I wouldn't know.

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Snails will demolish nori if they find it. I put in slices to try and get my tang eating, and within an hour a single medium turbo snail can eat a 3"^2 piece. Make sure it's not snails lol.

1 person likes this.
  6. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Could be old but probably isnt to old. I never check the experation cause a package only lasts me a few weeks! LOL.

They might have been feeding him something different. The stuff you go sounds like either Sallys Seaweed Selects or Oceans Nurition Dried Seaweed. Both work great for tanks IMO.

As for the angel you can take a small LR and rubberband it to the rock, to try to contiue with grazing habbits. But more importantly Id make sure he gets a good angelfish food diet. over the nori.

7. slocal

slocal Doot!

I'd be very, very careful about leaving nori in your tank unattended. It dissolves very fast and could lead you to believe the fish is eating it when it actually isn't.

8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Haha could be! I saw a little guy on it yesterday. And since the seaweed disappeared over night....that's probably what happened! That's not the stuff they are supposed to be eating! lol

10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Okay, I will not leave it in over night anymore. Thank you!

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I got Ocean Nutrition seaweed. He pecks on the rocks all day, and eats mysis and brine with spirulina like a champ. I have some pygmy angel food, but I haven't tried it yet.

12. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

two little fishes makes some nice nori, several types. its a julian sprung's blend of nori that comes in a resealable aluminum foil ziploc. good stuff, all my fish eat it.

i found that my fish were not attracted to nori on a clip stuck to the glass. i found better luck using a rubberband and tied it down to a small piece of live rock that i can easily pull out.

1 person likes this.