Dried Coral Hawaii Beach

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Glipzcom, Mar 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Glipzcom

Glipzcom Flamingo Tongue

So I was visiting my mom in hawaii. And I was out at one of the beaches and there were several 1 pound pieces of coral looking very bleached and dry laying around on piles of broken up lava rock. I thought I could take that home and put it in my tank!

Then I thought, I better ask the crew first if anyone knows if thats a bad idea? And if it is where do you get quantities of base rock? Online is cool but seems like its pretty expensive?

Glen.

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I have gobs of it I brought back from Bali...Worked out/and looks great!

Ummm, Hawaii has some pretty stiff marine collection laws...don't know if dead bleached coral qualifies...:confused:

If nice stuff, I'd use it.

8)

4. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

It's not illegal if you don't get caught :p. I'd look into it first with authorities. However sometimes they get their wires crossed. I called the RCMP up here (national police) about my headlights and they said they were legal, but then got pulled over in city limits for them (got off with a warning though, phew!).

Evan.

5. joem1975

joem1975 Plankton

I live in Hawaii and according to the Department of Land and Natural Resources you can take up to one gallon of coral rubble per day for non-commercial use as long as it's not a protected area. The rock must not have any visible living things on it or it's considered live rock and you can't take it. I use the coral rubble in my reef tank for base rock. There are some pet stores here now starting to sell cultured Hawaiian Live Rock too.

6. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

You live in Hawaii ... 8)You are gonna have a nice tank I suspect.;). I am jealous I haven't been back there in a few years now which island are you on?

7. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

DO NOT TAKE ANY LAVA ROCK!!!! Very bad luck!

Many years ago(when I was like nine I think) we were over on Kona walking the lava craters and we found some cool pieces of lava rock. Later that day we were in one of the stores and I remember seeing a paper or article that said it is very bad luck. I forgot about it and we stayed for a few more days then flew back home.

I forget what things happened, but we did have some bad luck for a couple years and then I remembered we put lava rock we brought back into the waterfall on our patio.:eek: I chipped it out of the cement and made sure to get every little piece including the bag of black sand from one of the beaches. I think it was a couple months later we went on our yearly trip back to Hawaii and I dumped all of it back in the water somewhere in Honolulu. Bad luck stopped.

I totally believe in it though.

8. Click Here!

9. joem1975

joem1975 Plankton

I live on the island of Oahu. It's really nice to be able to scuba dive and catch what I want for the reef tank. The only problem is coral is illegal to take and it's illegal to have live coral shipped to Hawaii. So basically no one in Hawaii is allowed to have an aquarium with live coral. Other than that I can pretty much get what I want for the tank diving which is really nice, and a lot cheaper, hehe.

Joe

10. shawn8003

shawn8003 Astrea Snail

Have to say I am quite jealous. No scuba diving here in the land of winter, snow, and ice. Haha. Oh, and construction season (summer). Lol.