Drastic Measures

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by gythwulf, Jul 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

Nitrite: 0.1
    dKH: 7.84 (added some buffer to it, but don't want to add any more today, but will tomorrow)

Buffer will probably run out before I get the dKH to where I want it, any recommendations as to what to buy?

2. Click Here!

3. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

Magnesium up to 1300 - going to keep adding buffer daily to slowly increase the mag content.

4. railroader46

railroader46 Skunk Shrimp

I like to use the B-ionic two part calcium and Alk additives. As for mag I am using epsom salts because it works so much better than any additive I have used. As for your flow I have the same Hydor nano powerhead and hydor flow deflector in my RSM, though there will be another Hydor nano shortly as well. Obviously you already now the skimmer is crap and the Tunze nano 9002 will fit perfectly. I have had mine sine the middle of June and it works perfectly. As for your lights you need to wipe the splash shield off weekly. The lights are pretty bright to begin with but they could also be better. There is a company that has a 150w hqi upgrade with two pc lights for our tanks but it is pricey. Good luck

5. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

So, I HAD aiptasia, but my peppermint shrimp at it all! I was surprised at how fast he dealt with it ;D

6. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

For those of you dosing epsom salts, magnesium sulphate (sulfate for some of you) you may be interested in this piece by Craig Bingman.
    He provides a DIY formula for magnesium using Magnesium chloride hexahydrate, and epsom salts and the reason for it.
    Randy Holmes-Farley also has a combined mixture for his DIY calcium/alk/mag supplement but his differs in amounts of each due to the components of the other parts for calcium and alk.

Aquarium Frontiers Biochemistry of Aquaria

1 person likes this.
  7. railroader46

railroader46 Skunk Shrimp

There is another mixture of Boraxo laundry booster and baking soda for the alk and cal that I have been told works really well as well

8. Click Here!

9. Uvajed

Uvajed Flamingo Tongue

I completely agree. My 75 gallon tank has been up and running since April this year, so far, only a couple snail casualties,
    the crabs had a feast ;D. I'll tell you, I am getting bored with 3 chromis, 3 PJ's, and a clown. But.... my diamond goby is a riot! It would be cool to have a tank of gobies.........

My next step is investing in lighting and going with simple corals.

gythwulf, I'd give your store a try with returning your rocks. Don't count on it. Perhaps nuking your existing rocks and starting over is an option? You didn't say if you have fish, or other critters in your tank. That would present another situation.

I read horror stories about LFS, luckily, mine is really great. I bought 45 pounds of fiji from petsolutions and 45 pounds from my LFS (I found out later they got it from Dr smith and fosters), and I don't have issues with my rocks (Keep your fingers crossed, but after 4 months in my tank, 'something' should have appeared by now).

Uvajed