Down sizing and moving

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Bitpatchy, Mar 5, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bitpatchy

Bitpatchy Plankton

Hello there,
    i have a 500 liter tank and unfortunately i am moving out so i have to down size tanks to a much smaller red sea max 130d
    I was just wondering which would be a better option for moving some stock (breeding clownfish only) to the smaller tank
    should I cycle a new tank with water rock and substrate and wait for the cycle to be complete before acclimatizing my clowns to the water

or is it possible to shift a large percentage of water from my 500l to the smaller tank with some live rock and substrate to avoid the tank cycle ?

i just dont want to kill my clowns they are like family

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Water and rocks can be transferred to prevent a cycle, but with your substrate, it depends. I've moved sandbeds multiple times with no issue, but it must be a shallow bed that has been well-maintained, such as regular thorough vacuuming. Otherwise, I'd suggest buying dry sand for the new tank and seed it with a couple of cups carefully scooped from the surface of your old sandbed.

chris adams likes this.
  4. Bitpatchy

Bitpatchy Plankton

Thanks for your information I think that is what I will be doing, I thought you could do it I just wanted to double check :)

5. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

I have a 130D and an Innovative 38. I like my 130D but given a choice would go with the Innovative.
    If you have not got the Red Sea yet consider the other.

If you already have 130D then Rock On :)

Agree with Rocks and water. Drain water first so you do not disturb the sand bed,(sure you already thought of this) then remove the rocks.

Mr. Bill and Bitpatchy like this.