Urgent Doughnut coral skeleton showing

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ipreferpie, Aug 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ipreferpie

ipreferpie Plankton

Hi all,

I just bought a really beautiful golden colored donut/meat coral. Before I placed it into my tank, I equalized temperature and pH and did a 4 minute FW dip with Revive solution.

As soon as I placed it into the tank, it started sliming up everywhere, which I though was ok. But my cleaner and peppermint shrimp started working on it.

Today, there are 6-8 parts of the coral with exposed, white skeleton! They are around 3mm in size. I'm really worried and it looks about to die. It's not opening and has no color.

What should I do? QT it with antibiotics? Or is it too late? I'm not home right now, but will upload photos for reference later. Thanks so much for your help.

Cheers,
    Joe

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

it might still pull through and is just stressed, then again im no coral expert. if its suffering i would avoid moving it around to different tanks. but again im no coral expert

goodluck

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You need to get it away from the peppermint shrimp ASAP. A 4min fresh water dip, personally I would have used salt water and revive.

Please put an image up if you can.

5. ipreferpie

ipreferpie Plankton

Here are the photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, I really regret the long FW dip :(

6. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Sometimes they close up pretty tight when freshly placed. I would give it a day or two before getting too worried.

7. ipreferpie

ipreferpie Plankton

Yeah, I was hoping that would be the case in them just being closed. But you can actually see the skeleton and that worries me :(

8. Click Here!

9. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

One of mine does the same thing every once in a while even now. I've noticed it seems to do that at night & open a little slower usually about the time I am due for a water change. While not the best reminder it does help.

10. Magnett2

Magnett2 Coral Banded Shrimp

Are those mesenterial filaments I see popping out of the flesh all over? There is a lot of skeleton showing as well. But I'm not an Lps expert. I would just wait a few days like Khowst said.

11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Check your Alkalinity and Calcium. These corals can be highly sensitive to low levels.

12. ipreferpie

ipreferpie Plankton

I think that the residual slime left from the initial sloughing. My Ca and Alk should be ok -- I run a calcium reactor and all my other corals seem to be doing well. But I can test it out to make sure. I just moved it into an isolation/breeding trap that is suctioned on to the side of my display tank. That way, I'm not subjecting it to another parameter change and preventing the shrimp from going at it.

I'll give in a couple of days, but the multiple exposed skeleton is really worrisome and it looks like it partially bleached. It was a nice golden yellow color but now it's splotchy with only 25% of the color left.

I'll keep on monitoring it, but any suggestions would be welcome!