Dottybacks

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Wrassman, Mar 16, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

As fond as I am of wrasses, I am also fond of dottybacks. I use the terms dottybacks because it covers a LOT more ground than the usual Pseudochromis sp.

A number of new species have become available to the hobby in the past few years. Most of the new varietes are from Australia and Africa. These beautiful fish are a mated pair of Cypho purpurascens:[​IMG]

But most dottybacks are not as aggressive as their reputations. The one exception to this, is the diadema. The diadema is perhaps the most agressive fish I have ever owned. I've only owned one, and that will be the only one I ever own. I've owned Queen Triggerfish with less aggressive personaliteis!! [smiley=hammer.gif]

The rest of the dottybacks are pretty good reef fish. The Strawberry Pseudochromis, for instance, is a great reef fish, as long as it is introduced last (or toward the end).
    [​IMG]

In fact, I have two dottybacks in my 58g. I have a Strawberry Pseudochromis and an Orchid Dottyback. The Orchid was introduced last and they have never once had a "disagreement." I have found that the Orchid is the most peaceful of the dottybacks.

But, I can't name them all. There are so many gorgeous little fish in this catergory that you could pick and choose from now on and you wouldn't get to half of them in your lifetime. [smiley=angel.gif]

You can look here to see some of these little fishies yourself:

http://www.fishindex.com/phpinfo//53/1-1

[glow=orange, 2, 300]I just love these little fish !!!!![/glow] [smiley=iloveyou.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i had a strawberry one when i had my 38 gall but the only problem was my firefish didnt like him they hid all the time when he came close. also i had some ghost shrimp that i acclimated from a brackish tank (it wasnt a problem) but they were dissapearin didnt know where they went. and the pseudo wouldnt eat thought someting was wrong until i saw him grab a shrimp and eat it. he was fillin up on my ghost shrimp guess he wanted the real thing lol he ate them all