Dosing

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by cody3819, Jul 25, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

How do you guys dose Alk and CAL at the same time... Don't they work against each other? I struggle to keep Cal up and Alk up? I use Red Sea pro Calcium is 400-420 and Alk is 8-7.5 Dkh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I like Kent Marine Superbuffer-dKH for controlling alk as my tank has always been low. Your cal seems good, I wouldn't change that.

4. cody3819

Okay thanks even at 400-420? Now I just read that if you carbon dose, which I do, 7-8 Dkh is fine? I'm very new to trying to dose and I don't want to hurt want thing

5. cody3819

I run carbon year round due to 3 nems in a 29G tank.. I have two bubbles and a mini maxi

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I run biopellets in the reef tank and even though I've read that alk should be around 8 the corals and growth were horrible. I keep at 10 and that seems to work for me. Theres nothing set in stone so just pay attention to the color and growth of your corals to find a sweet spot that your tank looks best at.

cody3819 and Lovemyreef2015 like this.
  7. cody3819

What do you dose with......? I have a carbon dose I believe it's seachem, but I believe I will try baking soda? What's better... I'm asking because I have dosed two days in a row 5 mils and still 7.5 Dkh

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

When you say carbon dose what do you mean by that cody? I believe theres a little confusion. Carbon dosing would be a carbon source to feed bacteria like vodka, biopellets, ect. With your size tank I'd use a liquid alkalinity and calcium. Aquavitro, continum, brightwell, theres many good products to choose from. Id still use aquavitro if the reef tank didnt require so much dosing. I use ME coral because I get it in powder to make a gallon at a time so thats alot cheaper. If you want to raise your alk then do it slowly. You have to account for what your tank consumes on top of dosing so youll need to test frequently. Do some reading about magnesium, calcium and alkalinity because each one plays a vital part to the other. To much of one and not enough of the other will cause a ionic imbalance.

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  10. cody3819

11. cody3819

Thanks, I have done some reading on Alk, mag and cal, not as much as I should. Im not home at the moment, I'll take a picture of what I'm using when I get home. I do run carbon year round.

12. cody3819

IMG_0073.JPG
    Here it is, if this is the wrong stuff please let me know. Thanks