Dosing

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by jessel518, Mar 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

Ok so here are the stats for today guys,
    ph 7.8
    alk 7
    ca 440

So my ph and ca were stable but my alk is still dropping...any ideas? If I leave it alone today will my alk drop to 6 by tomorrow?

2. Click Here!

3. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

we need to see you mag values.

Steve has given you as much information as would be wisely provided not having your mag levels.

Sounds like everything is close enough to acceptable that you will not have any issues until you can test you mag levels.

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Is this thing on?

How many times does this need to be emphasized?

5. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

I understand you needed the mag values. There was no way for me to get them, lfs do not sell it or do the test in my store or I would gladly have provided it. I had to order the test online the other day and had it shipped 2 day mail. So it showed up yesterday while I was at work. Here is the info even though it is extremley early in the morning.
    mag-1110
    alk-6
    calcium-400

Sorry I can not get you a reading today when lights are on, got home last night real late and I have to go back in real early. Which is why im up right now. But I wont be home until midnight again tonight. My mag is low which is im haveing these problems. How should I go about correcting?

6. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I think what folks are trying to emphasize is that there is actually no reason to worry about your alkalinity until you get your mag under control. Intuitively, we all want to get as many parameters right as we can, so its natural to want the other numbers to be okay while you wait for the mag test, I did the same thing. It turns out its not doable.

Your tests tend to assume a system in equilibrium. Since yours isn't, the results you are reading for alkalinity may be unreliable. Now that you have your magnesium test kit, stop worrying about the other numbers and slowly get your magnesium up to about 1400 or whatever the going recommendation is. Once you do that, check it and keep it up once a week. (Bulk Reef Supply sells the supplements and has a handy calculator for how much you require to get a particular result). With a stable, sufficiently high magnesium, you can start getting your alkalinity right. It will probably be a lot more stable when you try to do so.

Just remember the primary disclaimer: Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. Go slow.

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

using a mag supplement would be my 1st choice
    but dont increase by more than 100ppm per day
    so take 4 days and get it to 1410 or so

get a bottle of either Kent, or Brighwell mag as they are a mix of sulphate and chloride
    you could go with Seachem advantage Mag - but thats all suphate thus mainly Epsom salts

BRS have a bulk Magensium additive that would probably be more cost effective
    but it may be more efficient to see what Mag additives your LFS has

in the mean time that Alk now at 6 and calcium at 400 are both at the low end
    but 400 is acceptabe
    I would use the Alk supplement alone today and take the DKH back to 7 max
    then take it back to 8 tomorrow max - but dont dose any calcium part yet

its a balancing act until you get the Mag back up
    but if you can dose today/ tomorrow with enough to increase by 100ppm (less is OK, just dont go higher) then whatever you add the day after has a better chance of staying in solution

key point reminder
    do the math, based on how much water your system holds
    and work out
    how much of the mag supplement you need to increase the level by no more than 100ppm

and same for the DKH - work out how much you would need to add to move it from 6 to 7 just less than 7 is OK also

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

Ok sounds good. Next question being I just got out of work and still have an hour before im home...would it be aceptable to dose then and in the morning or is that too soon in between? What is he safe time limit between doses? I it approximatly 24 hours?

10. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

Oh and I would like to apologize if my post this morning came out wrong. I appreciate the help and all the input. I was trying to send mag levels as I was walking out the door for work after a 3 hour nap. Im not a morning person as it is. Thanks for the hep guys ill keep you posted.

11. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

for dosing Alk - the longer you take the better IME
    So if your manual dosing, make a solution and allow it to drip in very slowly
    maybe 2 drips per second

and then wait 24 hours and repeat with the next dose

Steve

12. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

Sounds like a plan, I will wait untill the morning then so I can get back in the morning routin. Today was shot. As far as mixing a soultion I have the alk for the 2 partwhich is liquid all ready or would you recommend mixing baking soda with ro di?