Dosing

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by jessel518, Mar 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

Ok thanks guys. I just ordered the test kit and it should be here on Friday. I have not dosed any mag at this time either. I dont want to dose blind and end up over dosing it. I will keep you posted when I know more :)

2. Click Here!

3. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Sounds like a great decision!!!

You will not regret being able to test for what you dose!!!

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Agree and agree.

This is also why you are supposed to adjust Mg first, then Alk, then Ca. (Someone correct me if I've got those last two backwards...)

5. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

"So what I have to dose is ESV 3oz part 1 and 5.5oz part 2. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong"
    If your dosing 1/4 of a bottle of 2-part everyday to maintain your alk. & ca. something is very wrong here unless your tanks is 1000 gallons. Dosing that much will make the ca fall out of solution as your tank is super saturated with it (Plz correct me if im wrong on that part). I use seachem for reading mag and will also sometimes backup that reading with a salifert test. If your tank is as lightly stocked as you say it is, its almost certainly a mag issue. I had the same funky params when my tank first started and mag was low.
    I'm worried you may not even get a good mag reading now as your tank has so much ca in it but I have nothing to support this thought just a feeling, maybe someone can back that up or say otherwise.

6. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

I didn't even know that could become an issue when I test for mag. Only have to wait 2 days hopefully. I don't have problems getting the parameters where I want them, they just drop real fast after. I test them and plug the numbers into the reef calculator and add what it says. This is a new tank so maybe im experiancing the same problem you had.

You are worried about the accuracy of the mag test when I can do it because of lots of calcium. How will this reflect on the test, higher or lower reading? If its not a good idea to keep adding the calcium until I can test my mag than what should I do?

7. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Agreed. Mag first. Jesse you on the other hand have only been dosing fo the later two. and if you go back to what Steve was telling you, but basically in nut shell, magnesium maintains calcium concentrations. "this is why your parameters arent stabalizing where you want them. If you dose you must maintain all 3.

I believe what he is saying is your mag may be so low that it will not show up on your test kit. (red Sea tests from 900 and up.)

IMO. Water change is the only thing you can do. You should not dose anything until you have every kit you dose for because you don't know your target yet.

hanging the water the elements are already mixed to there required ratio.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Only so much Ca can be in the water column - and this is dependent on the amount of Mg. Having lots of Ca will not interfere with Mg test. (but lots of Mg interferes with Ca test).

However, your Ca is only testing for Ca in the water column. It is not testing Ca that may have already precipitated out of solution.

It's semantics, but just FYI; tank size is not all that relevant. the amount of stony coral/clams is. A 1000 galloner can hold more coral, sure; but that doesn't mean it is (cause it's probably a shark tank! :))

Given the same amount of coral, a 55 and a 1000 will need the same amount of dosing.

10. VitalApparatuz

VitalApparatuz Feather Duster

that would depend on how much you test.Obviously you test more than I do.

I use liquid Reef does Randy whats his name use it?Theres no fine sand undissolved in my tank.

11. VitalApparatuz

VitalApparatuz Feather Duster

good for you.1$ is a good deal

12. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

Wow thats a lot to digest for one night. OK so yesterday I did a water change of 10 gallons. This morning my ph and alkalinity have dropped but my calcium is steady at 440. What do you recomend? Should I add some of the 2 part from bottle 1 only?