Dosing

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by jessel518, Mar 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. VitalApparatuz

VitalApparatuz Feather Duster

My LFS has all the expensive tests (Mag,Cal) they do it for one dollar each...
    Also there are additives out there that cover the whole spectrum.I use Liquid Reef from Brightwell.It covers Mag,Calcium,Alk and all the other trace elements.
    But running around buying those high dollar tests that expire doesn't make sense if your LFS will do the test for you.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I test my Calcium, Magnesium and DKH at least once per week
    I would spend 150 dollars per year to do that at an LFS based on your costs above
    or I can spend just over half that and do it myself and feel confident in the results

Liquid reef - please research that product before continuining to use it

this is Randy Holmes Farleys opinion of this product

Randy wrote

Here's my comment from other threads on Brightwell:

Some Brightwell products are likely just fine. Others seem poorly thought out, from a scientific standpoint (although a cynic would say the point is sales, not utility).

Here are some of my thoughts on them:

Liquid reef is like Purple Up or Kent Liquid reactor in that the main ingredient (fine sand) does not dissolve in seawater. I do not recommend it.

4. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

I will swing by the LFS in a few and see if they can test mag. I have tested new batches of the IO that I have and the normal readings that I get out of this tub are PH 8.1, Alk 8 and calcium 380. I use kent liquid calcium to bring it up to 440 and the esv part 1 to get Alk to 11.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I agree. I should have said more clearly. My current bucket of IO the Mg tests at 1150.

6. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Geez Steve is on his game today! Jessel I would strongly recommend listening to him.

I agree, if your waking up to find a drop in cal, its from low mag. In a sense mag maintains cal.

Are you implying that $1 a test is actually a good deal? I have about 6-7 LFS around my area...and ALL of them test customers water for free.

agreed 100%

This statement is totally $%# backwards. running around to LFS every time your parameters seem out of wack is a waste of time and gas, when you can buy the tests yourself and get results faster and it also gives you more knowledge and allows more control of your experimenting.

Even if LFS tests for free, it is better to have your on tests on hand for if not anything else but emergency purposes or times when going to the LFS is not an option. Although it still it great for a backup, such as in instances like this where you dont have the kit yet, or want backup for your own testing when you think there may be a misread or faulty kit.

7. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

Ok sooo...I just left the lfs and they don't test mag in the store and still don't sell the test kits but can order them. The ones the special order are seachem. Now you suspect that my mag is low but im going through almost 1/4 bottle of 2 part everyday other wise my ph alk and calcium crash. What do you recomend now until I can get a test kit.

8. Click Here!

9. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Do what you need to to get a test kit - the two part supplements are not cheap either - the benefits of perhaps paying for expedited shipping outweigh dosing blindly IMO.

10. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

What are opinions on test kits? Who do you like?

11. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

I stand behind Salifert 100%.

I do not have particular experience with any other brands besides the red sea calcium test - that was not any good because the increments it measures in are so large - 50ppm - that you can never really tell exactly where you are.

The salifert test kits resolve down to 10ppm or less.

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I agree. You are flying blind till you know your Mg. I would stop dosing for now.

I have used both Salifert and Red Sea Mg test kits.

I easily prefer salifert over Red Sea.

The Red Sea test is cumbersome to perform, prone to mistakes with all the drop/shake repeat steps and isn't as accurate IME.

The Salifert is about 10^10 times easier to perform IMO, is not prone to mistakes, and is highly accurate. It costs slightly more but well worth it IMO. Also the color change, to me, is much easier to read.