Dosing

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by jessel518, Mar 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

Ok everyone here I go again. Last week I finally got my Calcium and alkalinity where I want them. I wouldnt quite say that its stable but I know what to add everyday to keep it where I want it. My target is calcium 440 and alkalinity 11.
    However every morning the calcium is down to 400 and alkalinity is at 8. So what I have to dose is ESV 3oz part 1 and 5.5oz part 2. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? This is not going to last long I dont think. Today or tomorrow I think Im going to start dripping limewater and withing the next week or so im going to set up a calcium reactor. My tank is by far nowhere near stocked. Good coraline algae growth, a couple polyps and one really small galexea frag. Thanks for the help.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

1stly - there is nothing wrong with 400 and 8
    those 2 are fine and if you maintain them at that your not doing anything wrong IME

your magnesium level, has a bearing to some degree on what you can achieve as a target - so knowing your mag level would be helpful

Magnesium is a binder and can help to hold the calcium and carbonate ions in the solution

if your mag is not high enough to support your targets, everytime you add calcium
    you might be doing so at the expense of your carbonates
    and every time you add carbonates you may be doing so at the expense of your calcium

so whilst you may be adding the amount of supplement to reach your target level
    you may actually be failing to do so, due to a low mag level, not supporting those targets

Steve

4. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Where is your magnesium at?!?!

If it's not at least 1000ppm - you will not be able to hold your calcium values and subsequently your alk will also drop. All three need to be kept in harmony for good stability.

5. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Good ole' Steve beat me to it!!!

Agreed entirely with Steve - those are good numbers anyway . . ..

6. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

Unfortanatly I dont know what the mag is. I use IO that helps at all with a start. I ordered Seachem salinity and im still waiting on it. I have checked the LFS and no one sells the mag test and have not gotten around to order one on line yet.

7. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

As steve said - if you can maintain 400ppm calcium and Alk of 8 - you should be fine IMO until you can procure a Mag test as you should not dose for mag until you can test for it.

8. Click Here!

9. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

Thanks for help. I remembered reading that somewhere on here. Do not does what you cant test. So I have held off on buying mag suplement to avoid the temptation of adding it "to see if it helps". Im just suprised that I have to add so much everyday just to maintain that level.

10. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

It is likely then that your mag levels are low and are draggin down your calcium/alk levels.

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Don't even try to worry about your Ca levels until you know your Mg levels and they are on par.

If you are using IO and not dosing Mg, your Mg level is probably no more than 1100.

IME, Ca won't stabilize unless Mg is 1300 or better. I keep my Mg at 1400-1500. I also use IO but I dose as well.

12. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

according to some testing done by a reef aquarist username billybeau1

Instant ocean average
    Calcium 400 - DKH - 11 and Magnesium 1350 - (and his testing is widely respected on other sites)

but there are often odd batches that may throw up varying levels so its always a good idea to run tests on the 1st batch of any new salt mix you purchase IMO

in addition to that Magnesium is utilised - slowly in most set ups, but if your not doing adequate water changes to maintain it, then its possible for it to drop well below the 1350 even if you did have that amount to start with

so worth while getting the test kit, if for no other reason than to ascertain that you dont have a problem batch of salt mix
    and that you do have sufficient magnesium to ensure your other targets are achievable

Steve