Dosing Seachem Magnesium

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Hurley1536, Apr 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

1-2 teaspoons, via drip method. and I dont use the bottom 1-2" of whats left in the drip container.. as its mainly settlement. If i use a little white vingear prior to mixing with water = less settlement and more calcium booster from kalk mix.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

you're getting good advise. I agree, as stated you can raise it 100ppm per day. I usually only do this 2 days in a row and then wait 2 days and do it 2 days in a row again. Though it's been a long time since I needed to raise more than 100ppm.

I would also like to give kudos to your LFS for giving you good advise. Your Mg will definitely directly influence your Ca and Alk levels. Mg is critical.

I also agree your best bet (monetarily) is going with something along the lines of bulkreefsupply's bulk elements packages for Mg, Ca, and Alk.

good luck.

4. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

You'll def. get more for your money this way... I've been raising my mag to 1700 to combat hair algae, and I've already gone through 1.5 Gallons of the mag mix... already time for me to order more if I'm to keep the mag up for the recommended 2 weeks.

Consider purchasing more mag chloride than sulfate if you get it from them.

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Sorry to go off topic for a second, but does low magnesium aid in the growth of hair algae?

6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

I wouldnt say so directly. nitrates,phoshates,heat,low flow,to much light,to much orgranic matter in water would be there before mag.. I believe.. Im just guessing though. higher mag levels help with some types of algae. byrosis (looks like GHA but looks like little ferns)

7. Hurley1536

Hurley1536 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have 4 pounds of epsom salt sitting in front of the tank. Im nervous to add it. Talked to a different LFS who said "Epsom salt is like totally pure salt which will make your salinity go through the roof dude." I will never go to that LFS again, what an idiot. I think ill start the dosing tommorow. Wish me luck.

8. Click Here!

9. gabbagabbawill

It's more or less the other way around... high magnesium may help kill off GHA. It's not proven, but many people say it works, so I'm trying it. Normal mag levels will not aid the growth of hair algae that requires nitrates and phosphates to grow.

Yes, it's a bit off topic, but if you follow my thread about GHA, you'll find that I've tried everything else and my GHA isn't going away... And I don't know how ANYONE can manually remove it. It's either stuck to something or it disintegrates in my tank. I'm trying the high mag method to help kill it.

now, we should probably get back to the topic... ;)

10. gabbagabbawill

don't listen to that guy. It is pure Magnesium Sulfate (check the box, it should say it on there).

Use the calculator here to determine dosage using "Epsom Salts":

'Reef Chemistry Calculator FV'

If Randy Holmes-Farley endorses it, it must be ok!

11. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

x2 on that.. just use it and down the road, switch back to your LFS seachem mag stuff. it works fine for me, and have no complaints.

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

You can dose Mg sulfate or sulfide alone for a while, but it's best to combine the two in the recommend ratio, I think it was 5:3 sulfide to sulfate. Using the bottles you buy at lfs are not good at increasing Mg substantially. They are small and expensive. It's best to buy in bulk or use the Epsom salts.