Dosing pumps advice. Updated w/pics.

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Magnus, Oct 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Pump is up and running!!

Well, almost. I need to hook up the power and I'm done!
    So I gave in and ordered the vinyl hose holder and also the shelf. I was going to build one, but I figured it would look nicer if it's finished acrylic, so here it is, without further ado, the Bubble Magus BM-T01N 3 way doser!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like it, I'm sure I will !!! I'm so exited!!

- Mag.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Super Rad dude. Life will get easier once it's all dialed in to your absorption rates.

agreed and agreed.

I think it has to do with what angle the spinning arm thing happens to be at for that particular dosing.

4. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Very good observation, Peredhil! I didn't have that in mind, and pumps seem to be pretty consistent on the intervals this fluctuations occurred. First time was dosing a little less, then a little more then a little less and so forth.

So, I've been daily dosing 24ml of CA and ALK every day but missed some doses.. after this install, no more doses will be missed!!

What I've been wondering myself, is how do I work a daily dose of Magnesium? According to Randy's recipie 1 from BRS I only need to dose 20 oz. of mg per each gallon of dosed alk and calcium; meaning when I'm done with the alk and ca gallons I need to dose the 20 oz of mg in a few doses... would a daily mg dose regime benefit my tank in any way rather than the 20 oz in 1 day??

Thanks!

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I use BRS and I am familiar with the instructions you refer to.

I ignore them. Daily Mg dosing is a pain bc it settles and has to be reshaken.

What I do is get my Mg up to about 1500. Since you can dose safely 100ppm at a time, I wait for the Mg to drop to about 1400. This generally takes my tank 4-6 weeks.

Then I have already discovered that my doser can dose 100ppm Mg in 10 minutes and 25 seconds (I think; it's written down in my fish room). I spent some time with a stop watch, measuring cup, and patience to establish this. Then I just reuse the data every 4-6 weeks. As my testing dictates.

I don't pay any mind to if I've used a gallon of Ca or whatever.

6. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Sounds good! Do you have good results this way?
    I'll be testing everything tonight to see what I need to do.. I've been really slacking off on testing, mainly also because I'm about out of tests and I'll need to buy more. But I'll see what things look like and go from there.

Thanks again!

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I have to say, this is by far one of the best investments I've ever made. I'm very, VERY happy with my doser and my parameters are staying stable. I'm still adding 5ml at a time to dial things in, but overall core parameters are good and my corals are loving it and are starting to show colors I didn't know about! My stylophoras, that were dying slowly are also now showing signs of recovery. The flesh that was a very white pink, is starting to get dark again... slowly, but steady. I put them through hell... they're real champs!!

Now, all I have to do, is stabilize my MG at 1500, currently I it's stable at 1350, but things are doing well, so I'm thinking about this move. I know that by making it 1500 I'll be able to have a more stable CA and ALK.

If you're thinking about buying a dosing pump, you should seriously consider the BM-T01 from Bubble Magus. The programmable clock is a major plus, no extra money to buy timers, no worries. All I need to do, is re-fill my solutions and there we go another 5 or 6 months worry free.
    It's accuracy is also proven to be great. Check out a few posts above where I tested it.

Well, there's not much else I can say about this pump that hasn't been said already.
    I know one thing for sure and that is that I'm never going back to manual dosing... EVER!!

- Mag.

10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I second the awesomeness of dosing pumps. I got a pair of BRS dosers, and it's helping my tank quite a bit. I'm still not trying to get my numbers stable, because I'm using the pumps to gradually bring them up a bit, but I agree that this is quite the payoff for the investment.