Dosing pumps advice. Updated w/pics.

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Magnus, Oct 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

DUDE !!!! I got it!!
    It arrived today in the pm and I'm looking at the instructions... definitely written by chinese, but translated with some cheap ass translator program. Google would have done better job.

Regardless, I think I understand how it works and most of the instructions.
    One thing that disappointed me was that the mounting bracket was not included. For some reason I thought it was. I need to mount this to the wall so I'll have to buy it somewhere. I'm pretty excited about this pump! It looks well built and I don't think it can be beat for the price.

It came with the head unit, a few feet of pvc hose and the transformer to power it up.

STABLE WATER PARAMETERS..... HERE I COME !!!! :D

PS: any tips on where to get the mounting bracket for this? I may just build my own little shelve if the price of the bracket is bs.

I'll keep everyone updated.

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

im gonna just build a shelf

4. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I think I'm going to do the same. The one little gadget I do want is the tubing holder. Found it for 12 bucks at TBaquatics.

I'll be testing it tonight with some RO water, to make sure it is accurate at dosing and that nothing is out of order. I'll let you know how it goes.

5. ingtar_shinowa

nice! yeah the rube clamp thing looked pretty pro i agree!

6. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

So, I tested the pump with RO water in a cup and set each pump to put out 100 ml at predetermined times. I tested 3 times each of the 3 pumps and these are the results:

Pump 1 (100 ml test):

1st test - 100 ml
    2nd test - 109 ml
    3rd test - 99 ml

Pump 2 (100 ml test):

1st test - 98 ml
    2nd test - 102 ml
    3rd test - 110 ml

Pump 3 (100 ml test):

1st test - 100 ml
    2nd test - 100 ml
    3rd test - 102 ml

So, as you can see, there is some inconsistency between doses, but I don't really think this is too much to worry about. I found that the 3rd pump was the most accurate of all 3, so I took all pumps apart and compared the length of the dosing pharmaceutical grade tubes. I found that they all had the same length, so I'm not exactly sure where that difference comes on the dosing when set up for a pre-determined amount of fluid to be dosed.

I will do an overnight test and will also set it to 100 ml spread out in 12 hours. Perhaps it will be more accurate in smaller doses. I'll report back tomorrow!

- Mag.

7. ManNurseReefer

ManNurseReefer Fire Shrimp

Just set it lower than you actually need and do regular daily tests and adjust up from there until your params are stable. The pumps don't put out exactly what you have it set for.

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

Nice testing! I read they have a +/-5% error so that matches up for the most part.

10. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Yes, I figured that since things are not quite exact, I must leave just a tiny bit of room for error. I do think that this will keep my parameters stable. It's too little of a percentage to worry about.

Thanks! I will see how the split up dose works and see if I get the same results for tonight. I can't install this pump without the shelf, so until I put it up and get the tube holder that goes on the edge of the tank, I won't be using it, but I will test the heck out of it. Just to make sure. I know several people have this pump and everyone seems to be more than happy with it. I just rather better be safe than sorry. So, until Wednesday or so (when I get the dosing tube holder) I'll be testing this bad boy. I'll keep reporting. Thanks for following :)

- Mag.

EDIT: If you have any test that you think I should make, please feel free to suggest it. I'll do my best to perform it.

11. Tiburone9162003

Tiburone9162003 Astrea Snail

12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Not right now. But I'll take some tomorrow and post them at some point.

I'm sorry about the promised test results for today. I had the dosing pump plugged in a switch powered outlet and my wife switched the lamp off, along with the pump. I'll attempt tonight again. It's late, so I'll have to leave a post it note on the switch so she doesn't turn it off.