Dosing pumps advice. Updated w/pics.

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Magnus, Oct 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

buyers remorse - "why did I spend all my money on that"

yep , I know how that feels

but you made a good purchase IMO and the longer you use it, the greater the value you will percieve it to be IMHE

Steve

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Agreed. I'm feeling quite different about it today. I woke up and started pulling the solutions with the syringe... and suddenly a discovered a smile on my face when I was thinking I won't have to do this anymore after I install this dosing pump.

Definitely feeling better about it :D

Thanks!

4. ManNurseReefer

ManNurseReefer Fire Shrimp

It will definitely be worth it when you get it running and dialed in. You won't have to worry about dosing anymore. I figured I'd rather pay my wife a dollar a day to dose my tank in the morning and at night so I wouldn't have to do it. After a year of use this thing will have paid for itself.

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

i got mine last night and its in shipping. I hope this helps my reef! Im way to lazy to manually stablize my big three lol

6. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Where did you find yours and how much was it, if you don't mind me asking?
    I could not seem to find this for any less than 250 + shipping.

I know how you feel about dosing. I know exactly! I'm sure we'll be very happy with this new toy.

- Mag.

7. ingtar_shinowa

I was oging to order from BRS but they were out of stock so i got it off of ebay for 250 free shipping.

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Good find, my friend! Bidding or buy now?

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I love auto dosing. Been using it for some time now. It is a set it and forget it sort of thing.

This does not work (at least if you are using concentrated formulas like BRS) because Mg falls out of solution. You would have to shake the jug every day.

Ca does not fall out of solution in these jugs.

I have Mg separate. I only have to dose Mg every 4-6 weeks. I do use a dosing pump with a timer to do this but I have to manually engage it. I set it like that because the solution has to be reshaken first.

Otherwise you get who knows what concentrations dosed.

In short, do not mix your Mg and Ca if you are autodosing. It won't feel so 'auto' if you have to jack with it every day.

I hear this often. It is a rule of thumb kind of like inches of fish per x gallons... it gives an idea but isn't a very good rule.

Tank size isn't that relevant. Coral load is. Yes a bigger tank has potential for more coral, but that doesn't mean anything.

Some of hte largest tanks have some of the least amounts of corals and the reverse is true. I've seen 55 and 75 gallons overflowing w/SPS.

1 person likes this.
  11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Yeah, I was just thinking of a lower-concentration solution for dosing when you're doing this. The solutions are already very close to saturation when mixed like the BRS ones, so adding mag to a full strength calcium solution wouldn't be a good idea.

I should've mentioned this in my post, though. Good catch.

12. ingtar_shinowa