Dosing pumps advice. Updated w/pics.

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Magnus, Oct 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I'm wanting to automate my dosing. I don't have enough money or demand for a calcium reactor, so I decided to go with 2 part dosing.

I would like to find a dual or triple dosing pump for the big 3. I would also like the possibility of hooking it up to a Reef Angel controller down the road. I'm looking for performance and low maintenance until I get my controller and let it take over after it's all dialed in.

I've seen some pumps with a timer included, but I'm not sure if you can use this with a controller.

Please, let me know your suggestions and experiences with different pumps. Which ones do you recommend? Which ones do I need to stay away from?

Thanks in advance and +K for helping me choose a good, set it and forget it product.

- Mag.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Jay Reef

Jay Reef Feather Duster

look at bulk reef supply's pumps. i hear they are very reliable. you will need two for dosing and they run about 80 bucks each. you'll still have to dose mag unless you get a third pump for another 80 bucks. then you'll need to buy a reliable timer and of course, the two part additives. IMO, if you are running 100g or bigger, you are probably better off with a calc reactor. if you are less, a double or triple doser would be nice.

4. Jay Reef

Jay Reef Feather Duster

sorry to add on that, bubble magus makes a triple doser with built in timers for 300 bucks. a great deal for a set it and forget it.

1 person likes this.
  5. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I run two BRS dosers and they work great for me. I run them with a reefkeeper lite. I would recommend them for their sturdy design. If I were to do it over, I would get the AquaMedic twin so I didnt take up two outlets on my reefkeeper.
    Aqua Medic Reefdoser Dosing Pump

1 person likes this.
  6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Not quite. If you know exactly what your magnesium to calcium usage ratio is, you can mix magnesium and calcium supplements, and let them be dosed by the same pump.

This works because calcium and magnesium are both cations, and will not bond to each other. The problem comes with fine adjustments to the mixture, and may require a bit of work to get the proper ratio in your supplement.

1 person likes this.
  7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I have a 55 gallon tank, so a Calcium reactor is definitely off the table. It would be good investment if I had a bigger tank with lots of sps, but since I only have 12 sps frags and other softies, I think it would be overkill for the investment. Even if I could afford a calcium reactor it would be too much for this tank IMO.

I don't know if I'll be able to match exactly my needs to mix mg and ca in one pump, I wouldn't want to mess with that all the time, as the needs of the tank would vary as the frags grow. So something that I would go with adding minutes to the timer as the needs of the tank change would be ideal for me.

$300 may be a little more than I can spend, but if it's well worth the money, I would love to use something like that, with a timer and 1 cable. Of course, it would kill my need for a controller, as long as I have things dialed in.

I've been trying my best to dose daily, but I'm not seeing the benefits or growth I'm looking for, mainly, because I will forget to dose one day or be unable to dose another day for such and such thing that came up... I consider this to be a pain and I'm willing to spend the bucks at this point to avoid all this crap.

But I do need help. I have no experience (none whatsoever) with these type of pumps, so if it's not much trouble, I would like everyone that suggested different pumps to make a first hand comment on the pros and cons of what you're recommending/using to help me understand the reasons.

I've read good things about BRS peristaltic pumps, but I don't want to buy 3 timers. Since I also want to dose Mg on a daily basis, even if it's 1 drop per day, I'm trying to make it automated.

I really thought about a controller and dosing pumps, but that would run my budget too high. Something with 1 plug and incorporated timer, would be ideal since I'm also on a battle for outlets.

Thanks again for all your help. This is very interesting and educational. Keep 'em coming!

- Mag.

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

10. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Thanks a lot steve! I was looking at the review and started searching online, but found only 3 matches and they were $299.99 for the pump.

What comes in the box? Are the sump bracket for the dosing tubes included? Exactly how loud are the pumps? I saw on the review they're somewhere in between.

Where can I find it at the price you mentioned? I googled and did a couple of prize searches on different engines but had no luck for the $240 price.

Thanks for your help.

- Mag.

11. ManNurseReefer

ManNurseReefer Fire Shrimp

I have the three pump bubble magus and it's awesome! One unit with three pumps, one power cord, no additional timers to mess with. Plus it keeps it's settings if the power goes out. Light weight, good quality, looks good and very easy to set up. I don't miss dosing twice a day at all !! You can get lucky and find them on eBay sometimes for about $250

1 person likes this.
  12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Pretty good guess, ManNurseReefer! I just got one from ebay. $250 + $10 shipping.

I'm starting to get some buyers remorse.... maybe I shouldn't have spent my birthday money before I got any of it!! I hope it will be enough to cover for this.

There was also one up for bid with 2 bids at $202, but seeing the other ones posted (all at $300 + shipping) I decided to go ahead and get this one.

Thanks for the help. I can't wait to plug and set this baby up!!