Dosing Phytoplankton for corals?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Phayes, Apr 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

Just wondering if I should be dosing phytoplankton for my only 2 corals in my tank. I only have a moon favia, and a colt coral. They are roughly 2 weeks old, and seem do be doing alright so far. I just wasnt sure about dosing phytoplankton or not, and if so, how much, and when?

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I use this twice a week, but I have alot of corals.
    [​IMG]

4. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

The Phyto isn't just for corals, it's for the feather dusters, copepods, sponges, and other filter feeders that maybe/are present in your live rock.
    I was told that LIVE phyto plankton also lowers nitrate levels as they themselves feed.
    I have some live barnacles on my rock and some sponges that other people strongly recommended I remove because they would certainly die and cause ammonia spikes, but I fed rotifers and phytoplankton right from the start and have some pretty sponges because of it. (Having owned a boat, I can't imagine anything killing barnacles!;))

As for the amount, that depends on the size of the tank, I tend to OVERFEED everything, so I'll let others help you there. ::) I turn off the filter and skimmer, dump some phyto and let the powerheads push it around. If you don't skim constantly, (and use LIVE phyto) the phyto will tend to multiply, feeding off the nutrients in the system and increasing in numbers. I feed phtyo daily, I filter and skim overnight and often while at work, but I just run powerheads (AND feed) when I'm home.
    Everyone runs different schedules as to when they feed, etc.If you ask, you'll get a thousand answers .
    I'm sure different products have different types and concentrations of Phtyoplankton. I would try to use live, if possible, so that they can help get (and keep) the parameters in balance.

Remember nature is always in balance, if there is too much of one thing, nature will work to bring it back into specs. As long as the system doesn't crash while nature is trying to find the balance point, you're in luck!;D

Hope this helped,

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  5. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

Thanks for the responses. What's your opinion on Kent's Phytoplex?

6. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

Bump for questions regarding Phytoplex. Dose or not? ;)