Dosing multiple elements at once?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Nor_Cal_Guy, Nov 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

I'm curious what your take is on raising multiple levels when testing.

Say kH, Ca, Mg are low. So do you dose these additives one right after the other or space it out? How long do you space it out if you do?

Would you first raise Mg then, Ca etc.

2. Click Here!

3. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

I dose ALK at night before the DT lights go out. I dose my CAL in the AM before the lights come on. I usually dose mag every week or two and throw that in after I test, it's only 30 ml's or so.

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

If you dose Calcium or Magnesium too close to when you dose Alkalinity, you could easily end up with a Carbonate snowstorm. I would wait at least 10 minutes before adding alk.

1 person likes this.
  5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

+1 on above

additional comments from me

Magnesium - dosing that 1st to ensure you have reached a level that can then support your target levels for the other 2 ions is ideal

Calcium - dose daily, as far I can tell tell, provided you do not increase the level by more than 40ppm , its fine

Alk - need to check what your chosen product will do to PH - many do not affect PH, but some will increase PH , and if you have one that would increase PH, then dosing this at night, when CO2 would be working towards driving PH down, is a good idea IMO

Steve

1 person likes this.