Dosing Mag, Alk, and Cal

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Bhadwin, Jan 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bhadwin

Bhadwin Astrea Snail

Okay guys, so with this "new tank" 2nd go around with new aquascape, I would like to keep my levels more constant instead of correcting them with water changes. My levels do drop fairly fast as I have a wide range of corals with a lot that take up a larger amount of calcium or so I think. Basically for the past two years, I have done regular water changes which provided me with a successful tank but I def noticed higher growth rates shortly after water changes and wanted to attempt to correct that by dosing to keep levels constant.

So with that said, I have liquid mag, all, and calcium. How do I know how much to physically add. I have my test results but I am unsure how much I should add per. I know I shouldn't raise levels too quick and have done research on how to but I keep confusing myself with what I'm reading. The last thing I want to do is dose wrong risking my livestock :/ PLEASE HELP

CURRENT LEVELS:

Mag: 1040
    Cal: 380
    Dkh: 9
    Salinity: 1.026
    Ph: 7.8

Thanks for ANY and ALL input!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

4. Bhadwin

Bhadwin Astrea Snail

Thanks corailline!! Do you have any opinions or experience on using Epsom salt to initially raise my magnesium? The amount to achieve desired levels using liquid mag is CRAZY!!

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

No experience with Epsom salt I always use Kent Tech Magnesium. You should however only raise mg 100 ppm/24 hours. I know that people use it so you should be able to find some basic instruction, or perhaps someone else will chime in.

I am actually surprised your mag is that low. Might want to try a different salt mix.

6. Bhadwin

Bhadwin Astrea Snail

Yeah, it's pretty strange. I even tested twice tonight because I didn't think the test came out right. Thanks again for your help! I'm sure I'll get everything corrected ;)

7. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

FWIW, I've been dosing alk and CA in my ato for months. I've recently started adding mag. I use reef fusion 2 part and fluval mag. I add 3ml/ gal of carbonate. Been adding .4ml/gal of CA, and .8 ml/gal of mag. I started off at lower dose rates with all and tested regularly. I'm still testing frequently as the CA seems to fluctuate a bit and trying to bring the mag up a bit. I've been adding the alk since almost the beginning and it hasn't changed. I've had no obvious problems with this method such as the CA and alk precipitating that I'm aware of.

8. Click Here!

9. Bhadwin

Bhadwin Astrea Snail

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

You may not be actually using as much calcium as you think with Mag that low. It may be precipitating out. Meaning the corals are not actually using what you're putting in. Once you correct the mag level you may find youself using less Calcium as water with low mag can't hold higher levels of calcium. Also .. I have found my corals prefer a little higher than the normal recommended levels.. for instance mag 1320-1350 my corals prefer 1400+. Same for calcium.. for a recommended 420 my corals like it in the high 400's..
    Just after the mag is corrected and you start dosing just mix up about what you're using (cal,alk) per day. Adjust the timer to approximate that use for a 24 hour period. Try to stagger the times so alk and calcium are not added at the exact same time. The next day or two see where the levels are and adjust the timer to add a little more or less. Might take a couple weeks to adjust.
    If you're using soda ash it's nice to have a PH meter to make sure PH is not going too high too fast.

What I did is got my dosing pump and a graduated beaker. Fill a jug with water. Turn it on for one minute. See how much is in the beaker exactly. I did a few test just to make sure all consistent. Then you can set your timer and make adjustments knowing how much the dosing pump will add in one minute.

11. saltaddiction

saltaddiction Flamingo Tongue

Here is what i have followed since day 1 on my new 220g reef tank.
    An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

It's way cheaper than buying the LFS supplements too. I just keep a few extra empty gallon jugs around and keep these made up. I have to agree that my corals seem to like the numbers a little higher than normal.
    I was having issues getting my CA above 360 and my Mg was way low also.
    Started dosing the Mg supplement from this site and within 3 days I had perfect numbers.

My coral count is still minimal so I am only having to add very little amounts once a week to keep my numbers where i want them. I'm sure this will change and I add more.