Dosing hydrogen peroxide along with kent tech M

Discussion in 'Algae' started by horkn, Jan 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Well, I've got a bad case of bryopsis. Long story, but has anyone dosed both of these at the same time( not literally at the same point of entry in the tank)?

I see that 10ml a day per gallon is what peroxide dosers use. What have you guys heard?

Thanks, Tom

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Tom, I started with the hydrogen peroxide before the Tech M. It works great on all other algaes, killing it after the first or second application. Not so with bryopsis. I don't think I ever actually killed any off with the peroxide. It turned a pretty maroon color, though. :p

The only thing that worked was the Tech M at 1,600 to 1,800. It takes a few weeks for it to start doing it's job. Once the bryopsis starts to die, it will still try to hang on, but it will pull off easily. At this stage, I found it important to scrape and remove as much as possible to get it out of the system. Afterward, there is a cyano outbreak.

I honestly see very few tanks that don't have bryopsis, and it's only a matter of time before the scales get tipped in it's favor.

Good luck!

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Never heard of dosing peroxide!?!?

5. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

Peroxide makes for a good dip as well. I use 1:4 ratio of peroxide: tank water. Great for killing algae off of frags. The algae will fizz, 2-5min then rinse. The algae dies within 24 hrs

6. barbianj

You don't dose it, rather squirt it on the algae. It will bubble up good and melt away. You have to be very careful in the DT, though. It's mostly used for submersing frag plugs in to remove algae.

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

ive got some zoa plugs with algae on them ive hear zoas and peroxide dips are ok anyway, should i give it a shot?

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Yeah, definitely. I would try the Tech-m first. It has much better odds of working anyways.

10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I've seen quite a few folks actually dose it, even on full reef tanks with no issues.

11. barbianj

Correct, but I'm not sure that anyone had good results on bryopsis. I spot applied the hydrogen peroxide using the dosing amounts recommended per day, and it really didn't affect it. It will kill off regular old green hair algae, but there are better ways to take care of that, like normal husbandry. Bryopsis is the Superman of algae. IME, ich is easier to deal with.

12. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

For now I will dose the gallon of tech m and see what that does. I have tried it before, but the normal size bottle only made like 1.5 doses on my tank.

Actually I have a lot of epsom salt I can alternate doses of.