Dosing help, please :)

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by kcbrad, Jan 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Honestly, I have never used the BRS products because I can buy the Seachem products for cheap. I can get the 2L Reef Complete for $20 as opposed to $32 online. I also don't have to pay for shipping and I can get it on Thursdays as long as I realize I need it by noon on Wednesdays.

As for ease of use, I can't compare the two since I have never used the BRS products. I find the Seachem products easy to use and I don't have issues with my levels being to high or to low. I also like the fact that I don't have to mix anything in ro/di water before use.

I have been thinking about using their products, but if it isn't broken don't fix it, you know.

I had that problem with the Aquavitro version, but not this one. No clue why.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I have just recently had this problem on my tank from the same bottle of Reef Plus. Some corals are fine and others close up. They don't seem harmed just unhappy.

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Happened to me with Aquavitro's version. Mainly pissed my big fleshy brains off. Sunk in for about 24hours each time.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I noticed some polyps and some LPS. No real rhyme or reason I could figure.

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Kacy I use SeaChem Reef Advantage Calcium. It will keep mag and strontium up as well. I mix 1 Tsp in ro/di and drip it every other week.

1 person likes this.
  7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Thanks for all the input! I'm going to go ahead and buy this stuff. Can't wait!!

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I have been using

Seachem - reef builder for Alk
    Seachem - advantage Calcium -
    Seachem - advantage magnesium -

the Magnesium product as mainly Epsom salts and as such is mainly Mag Sulphate
    and as your reef will benefit from a mix of both Mag Sulphate and Mag Chloride
    (it does have sodium chloride= salt but not Mag chloride)

thus if you go with Seachem reef advantage Mag - it would be good to also have some Kent or Brightwell Mag additives and occasionally use those rather than just the Seachem all the time IME

Steve

1 person likes this.
  10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

1 person likes this.
  11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Actually, it's not much different... Seachem gives instruction to ball park and just dump some in... then get to how to measure consumption and dose daily... same for BRS. It is no different how you go about figuring out how much to dose and how to keep your levels up.

As far as PH swings.... some need higher PH some don't. The vast majority of BRS users use the PH increase. If it suits you you can use the other. However, you are probably dosing so little that it will not matter much. Both will buffer.

Nothing in BRS causes a "loss of Mg". Seachem puts it in, but Mg is consumed at a very slow pace.... BRS you make a gallon of Ca and Alk... when you get done with the gallon... in your case probably months... you dump in 20 oz of Mg. Pretty simple. Some dump in 10 oz at half gallon but it does not really matter.

As far as number crunching and figuring out how much to dose with how much actual water volume you have... that part will never go away regardless of what supplement you use. The better you are at it the happy your tank will be. Might as well use the BRS you have. They have tons of info on the site and are only a phone call away if you need help.

1 person likes this.
  12. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

so true about BRS being only a phone call away. they really are very helpful when you call and ask questions. they are full of info and add extra tips that help with what your trying to achieve. i got the feeling its not all about making a dollar with them, they truly want to help

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011