Dosing Ca & Alk

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Xiztence, Mar 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I agree with the above echo :p:p

109 wpm ;) sustained for 2 minutes. usually closer to around 90 wpm though

If i'm reading that right, it has Ca to Mg in a 100:5 ratio. I maintain my Ca to Mg at a 1:3.5 ratio. So, from what i can tell, it barely has any Mg at all. The thinking is probably it has enough to make up for depleted, but not enough to raise it...

This sort of thing is a primary reason I use raw elements.

2. Click Here!

3. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

Ohh ok I'm not all in to the chemistry not good at it lol

4. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

Ok, I'm just starting to see the benefits of using a balanced dosing system (after my params have easily gotten outta whack from dosing one thing, then another, then another, etc).

Can someone please explain in detail to me and provide a link for the startup kit at bulkreefsupply? I'd like to know how it works. When you mix it, Do you mix it all at once and have three large bottles of dosing solution that will last a year? Or do you mix a little at a time? When you dose, are you dosing every day, every week, drip, or what? I would be interested in peristaltic dosing pumps in the future as well...

I have thought of starting a similar thread lately b/c I'm trying to put all the pieces of the puzzle together... It's just starting to make sense to me now.

To dose Ca, Alk, and Mg $40 sounds like a good price for one year!!! Def. leaves room to purchase decent test kits as well. Hello Salifert!

Thx!

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

depends on what you buy. I got mine in buckets and the 2 Mg's are separate and I have to mix them in the jug.

6. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

2 part kits from BRS.
    Two Part Calcium and Alkalinity Solution - English

Instructions:
    Instructions-for-Prepackaged-Kits-(Recipe-1)

If you're also dosing 2 part you don't want to use just Magnesium Chloride because you're already adding a lot of chloride from the calcium supplement which is calcium chloride. That's why they recommend the mixture.
    If you're using a calcium reactor or kalkwasser for your calcium/alkalinity supplements you can use pretty much straight Mg chloride without as much worry about overdoing the chloride.

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

good luck dude.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

;D

I concur

10. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Ya I didn't get the 5 gallon kit just the gallon starter kit.

Yes but the gallon starter kit already has the 2 different MAG's mixed in 1 pouch. As Peredhil pointed out the 5 gallon kit apparently has 2 bags for MAG.

Sorry for any confusion.

11. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I think I've got it... looks like the small package is the way to go to get started:

Two Part Calcium and Alkalinity Total Package (Small ) - English

And it has both magnesium chloride and sulfate to mix.

What is the advantage of the "starter kit"?

One question though, how do you measure your mix? Using dry measuring cups? Do I need a special set of measuring cups?

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

i forget exactly, but the measurements of elements to put in the RO water jug is on the order of even cups... any measuring cup is sufficient.