Dosing Ca & Alk

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Xiztence, Mar 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

how safe is epsom salt dosing? Is there any drawback/ consequence to this?

2. Click Here!

3. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

Yeah what he said 8) lol

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

http://www.3reef.com/pages/calculators/

click on additives.

add your total water volume

go to Mg section

Doesn't really matter *what* values you put, just make them 100 points apart.

Select "Epsom salts" as the product

click submit Mg

it will tell you on the right how much to use. mix that amount in some RO water and drip it in.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

epsom salt is Magnesium Sulfate. elements are elements.

the draw back is that it's only Mg Sulfate. Over a very long period, it *might* cause problems because it's not being balanced with Mg Chloride. But it takes years b4 that's a problem and only if you continually do it for years.

If you buy something like www.bulkreefsupply.com 2-part kit, it comes with Ca, Alk, and Mg Sulfate and Mg Chloride and tells you how to mix the 2 Mg's.

Anyway, short term, it's just Mg. Long term it may go out of ion balance. but it is a fine stop gap solution for a very long time with no consequences.

6. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

Alright thanx. Also which test kits are the best Elos or Salifert?

7. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

There are no real drawbacks if you do regular water changes. If you don't do water changes or do them infrequently you can get an excess buildup of sulfate (epsom salts are Magnesium Sulfate), although what the drawbacks are to that aren't really understood fully but I just think it's best to try and maintain the balance closer to natural saltwater personally.

You can help to eliminate this possibility (or slow it down anyway) by using a combination of epsom salts and magnesium chloride to slow down the buildup of sulfate or just do regular water changes so the sulfate doesn't build up.

Here's a great source for cheap quality chemicals.
    Magnesium Supplements for Aquariums - English

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Peredhil is a faster typer than I am I think. ;D

10. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

11. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

Let me make sure I have this straight... So, it's not good to use JUST Mg Sulfate or Mg Chloride, but use both so the sulfate and chloride ions don't build up too fast on their own?? Or, is Mg Chloride BETTER than Mg Sulfate?

...and water changes - is 5-10% per week enough to keep sulfates from getting out of hand? This is what has always concerned me about dosing epsom, but I'm starting to ease my fears.

12. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Actually the 2 part kit from bulkreef has both mags in one pouch. You dont have to mix the 2, just dump the pouch in and mix it with ro water and your set. Its $40 bucks for the starter kit, it makes like 3 gallons of each CA, ALK, and Mag. This will last me over a year, so its pretty cheap.