dosed mag and alk for the first time ever

Discussion in 'Coral' started by BrianJ, Feb 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

Picked up 3 sps on friday and was shocked when I tested my water after work. Its been 3 days and my mag and cal both dropped around 100 ppm. Crazy how much these little sticks suck up in trace elements. I never thought it was true but boy was I wrong I've read it in countless of posts, but never believed it, I am officially hooked on sps!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I hear you can never go back, welcome to the dark side.

What test kit?

The alk/mag/ca values all play off each other so test all three until you see your tank's utilization. If you have a lot of coralline the values drop more rapidly.

4. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

Just picked up a new red sea kit cause I though my old one may have been expired. I'm going to get all params to target level and try and keep them steady for a week and hopefully get it stable. As for Coralline its not growing near as much as I had hoped. I have very little which is a bit upsetting. I've read it grows differently in every tank I'm not sure if that's true though.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have had healthy tanks covered in it and I have had healthy tanks with very little. If you get a lot of stony corals I believe they out compete the coralline for the elements.
    Kalk top off or kalk dosing always improved coralline growth for me.

6. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

Will look into it, using brs 2 part right now.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

That seems a bit drastic to me. I have about 20 growing frags/mini colones and probably lose about 100 ppm over a two week period.

8. Click Here!

9. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

Yeah I haven't tested or done a water change in a week I have added a ton of stuff over the last few months. Going to be checking daily for the next few weeks to see where I'm at. Before I got sps mag and calc have remained stable without dosing.

10. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

It took me a couple of weeks to dial mine in to a rough estimate and then tweak it periodically. Your usage I would assume significantly on water volume so in a smaller tank expect larger swings. A doser is totally worth the money in my opinion they are pricey but less maintenance equals a more enjoyable hobby in my mind. I will never go without a doser or ATo on another tank. Plus I was never good with dosing every day and it's not something I could ask someone to do fore if I am gone for a few days at a time. Also growth has exploded with regularity. To sum it up take a couple weeks make a log and figure your averages and stay on top of dosing to save your corals.

1 person likes this.
  11. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Ps I can't grow coralline algae to save my life, except isolated glass section which my urchin won't eat, only off the rocks where I want it.

12. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks for the advice I will dead be getting a dosing pump or two in the near future.