Dosed Copper..can i have corals now?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by new2salt2, Mar 6, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

i have been set up for about a year.. about 8-9 months ago i had an outbreak of ICK. i treated it with a medicine that included copper. at this time i had no coral in my tank. since then i have done tons of water changes, use skimmer and change filter media.

Can i still raise coral in this tank? how long will copper trace around in my water?

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

You might be alright.
    I'd use a poly filter pad for a while. That's been known to remove some metals.

And pick up a copper test kit.
    ;) :)

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Poly Filter are GREAT I just wish they would tell you what the different colors mean when they are spent. sample=Brown is phosphate reddish is copper or metals etc...

5. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

where can i read up on the poly filters. my LFS does not carry them?

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Copper can leach into the sand bed and release slowly over time.
    Did you have LR when you used a copper treatment?

When you get the poly filter I would stir things up a bite.  I mean move some of you rock around,  change the flow in your tank.  Copper will settle and buy moving things around you will have maximum removal.

J

Funny I never new poly filters anything more than just fancey filter floss

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

They have the same name as some filter floss but these absorb all kinds of impurities in the water.

10. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

i did have LR in my tank. every water change i clean the CC substrate anyway.

cool thanks Nautilus

11. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

You can use the "universal water stripper" carbon also to help remove copper. I would definitley test before dumping live stock in the tank. I also would stay away from medications if at all possible, especially using meds that will linger and affect livestock added later. Having a game plan for your tank will save you time, work, money and most important the lives of your tank.

12. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

nope.. tested and no trace of copper.. must be something else. i have some stuff called phosphegen i think. you put it in a waterfall filter in a bag to remove phosphates will this hurt livestock if i use it?