Don't forget to change those bulbs

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Dador, Jan 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i have no clue when i'll need to change me t5's.going on 11months.probably soon.

2. Click Here!

3. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks

What a great post!! Thanks. I just bought one of those spectrometers!!;)

4. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

hey all i am new to the hobby so this may seem like a dumb question however is there a set time that lights should be changed out. ie 6 months 1 year???

5. Dador

sean-
    The issue here is that over time all bulbs shift the from the manufactured spectrum they are supposed to deliver. We are trying to provide our coral as close as possible a light source that will improve their ability to feed and grow. Something that they get naturally from the sun. So when we select bulbs to deliver say 10000K from a metal halide after about a year it usually decays resulting in a shift downward to a value less than we originally wanted for the coral.

Many of us change our Halides annually and our actinics semi-annually. The spectrometer mentioned above can be used to measure what the bulbs are actually delivering so change out timing can be more precise. These bulbs are expensive but so are the animals. So ideally we'd like to keep the bulbs as long as we can.

I'll look for some info on this for you and post it here.

6. Dador

7. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

dador,

thank you for the quick reply when i get home from work tonight i am definitely going to read that thread. I appreciate the help.