Domino Damsel

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by JPfish, Aug 12, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JPfish

JPfish Astrea Snail

I purchased a Domino damsel for my tank last week, thinking that this would help along with the cycle (which i think is done allready, Amm=0.25, No2=0, No3=10). My LFS said that this was a pretty bad idea since the Domino is very aggressive and will be very territorial and possibly stress out any future tank mates, i.e. percula clowns, yellow tang etc.

Should i get this damsel out now? or wait until I add more fish and see how he reacts??

BTW, the Domino is rather small about 1"

2. Click Here!

3. JPfish

JPfish Astrea Snail

Actually the ammonia has been at 0 for the past 2 weeks, no2 at 0 and no3 at 20, only yesterday did I notice a slight change, but sometimes it's difficult to tell the difference in the green color of my test kit whether it's 0 or 0.25

I have some hermit crabs & I bought 3 turbo snails which seem to be doing really good

4. ETECH

ETECH Plankton

if you have all your live rock in your tank good luck trying to catch him givemeabreak

5. Sally

Sally Plankton

I don't know about the domino but I had 2 three stripe damsels in a 125 gal for 4 yrs with a lion fish, maroon clown,
    hippo tang, flame angel, some kind of wrasse- I would say all except the flame angel are aggressive fish. I guess your domino could be fine if you stock aggressive fish.

Sally

6. JPfish

JPfish Astrea Snail

Etech:
    I heard of this difficulty of getting them out. I only have 65# of LR and he tends to hang out around the top a lot. So I'm going to try to lure him out with some food and use a large net, I'll let you'll know

7. JPfish

JPfish Astrea Snail

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO GET THIS DAMSEL OUT? thats_crazy

He hides into the rock when I try to get him with the net.

Should i take my 65# of LR out and then grab him. Somebody suggested putting his food in the net for about a week (leaving the net by itself in the tank for a few minutes each time I feed) then after a week he'll be used to it, and then i can get this booger out!

Any other suggestions?? ??? ???

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

10. JPfish

JPfish Astrea Snail

WOW! you've got to be kidding, that trap looks great, think it works? ???

11. Guest

Guest Guest

8)Try sticking your net in the tank and then feed your fish floating flake food and net the domino as he comes up to feed. That is how i got rid of mine, and yes if you have any fish that are not aggressive the domino will harrass them.

12. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

ive heard of a lot of people using the leavin the net in the tank method and it has worked. at least you have 65 lb rock i had to catch a peppermint shrimp (very stubbern) with 110 lbs and that was tough. good luck. not only do the dominos get agressive but they can get 6" long most people dont realize how big they can get. if you cant get him then make sure you get fish that can handle themselves