Does your aquarium have enough water circulation?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Does your aquarium have enough water circulation?

1. Yes.

55 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. No.

20 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. I don't know.

11 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

55 gal. 44x-49x depending on the impeller I have on my Maxi-jet mod

1 Maxi-jet 1200-295GHP
    1 Maxi-jet 1200 with mod-1600 to 2100GPH depending on impeller
    HOB filter App 200-300 GPH??

2. Click Here!

3. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Well I have a 55g, with 1 koralia #2 600gph, the biggest power sweep, prolly a 225gph and my return pump which is 900gph for a total of 1725gph; oh almost forgot protein skimmer, 82gph so that's like 33X or so, but still I have to turn the check valve about half of the way to keep the corals from staying close all the time.

4. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

anyone else notice they have to add more flow down the line because of coral growth, cause ive had alot of growth in the last few months and i noticed my flow is dwindling in spots. and it seems like what used to whip my rasta leather around now barley makes it threw the whole colony. also noticed flow around the sand getting less as corals grow up top and break up the flow more. but also a + because it overall make the flow more random.

just another thing to consider....but prob not as much of an issue in larger more spacious tanks were leathers dont touch front to back glass.:-/

5. MAZILLA

MAZILLA Flamingo Tongue

6. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

I think I have enough 52x, but I still want more . Whats with that?
    3 Maxi-jet 1200-295GHP
    1 Maxi-jet 1200 with mod-1600
    1 Aqua clear70- 400gl

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I have roughly 1200gph on a 90g/145g system.
    [SCROLL]Luna[/SCROLL]

8. Click Here!

9. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I have enough for now. I think.

46g bowfront
    2 Koralia #1's - 800gph total
    600 gph return pump
    Total GPH = 1400 meaning around a 30x return.

We only have 2 Ocellaris Clowns and a tiny CUC so for now it's good and we have room for upgrading/adding powerheads. The positioning is excellent right now, NO dead spots. One powerhead is directly below the overflow box pointing down and along the back of the rock. The other is on the opposite side pointing parallel about 3/4 of the way up and at the front, thus deflecting off of the bowfront. And the return is pointed at the surface with a flare nozzle for good water surface turbulence. The clowns get knocked sideways when they swim in front of the PHs or the return flare (Especially the return) so it's good for now.

If you turn your powerheads/pumps off when feeding, and your fish are a little slow, try feeding with the pumps and phs on and see where the food goes. dead spots will show up if the fish don't get to the food quickly. But i doubt alot of people have fish like that haha