does total water volume affect how many fish you can get?

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by fish addict, Oct 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fish addict

fish addict Spaghetti Worm

i have a 55 gallon tank and a 35 gallon sump plus a 100gallon rated canister filter does that affect how many fish i can out in a tank. JYI i want to get a tropheus murago colony so can i get more tropheus than a standard 55 gal tank with all of my filtration

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

It depends on the fish. If its a fish that needs space to swim or a fish that is territorial than water volume means nothing.

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Yes and no..(mostly no) There are two elements here. One is the water quality in a smaller total water system can't handle as much as someone that has a larger system. The waste is diluted among more gallons so of course that is a bonus. But when people speak of how many fish can be in a certain size tank they are usually referring to the display tank only. Fish need to have personal space.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Didn't you have another post that mentioned you had just acquired a 75 gal. tank for the tropheus moragos? From what I've read, you should keep 1 male and 6-7 females, I guess that would equal your school. I think you could get away with it in a 55, but remember, they get to about 5" as adults, so that will quite a few fish for that sized tank.