Does my Elegance look healthy and happy?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by dumbderk, Apr 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dumbderk

dumbderk Purple Spiny Lobster

Well after much research on the elegance coral, I am worried as hell now. There are many threads stating that it is a hardy coral but dies within a year due to elegance flu and that almost 90% of imported elegance corals die. I looked up some more info on it and it said that if the oral disk is swollen and you have short tentacles, and it is all contorted that it is a goner. What I want to know is mine a goner, I placed it in the tank and within an hour it looked as it did at the frag swap but was it and is it healthy and happy or should I move it or get rid of it?

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Yours looks nice and healthy to me. I wouldn't worry about it right now.

4. dumbderk

A lot of this has me worried because this is my fav coral atm and everything i read is saying they almost always die. And it looks like mine has very short tentacles.

5. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Mine has short tentacles as well and is doing just fine. I've had mine for just over a year now. Just make sure you target feed it. I usually give mine some frozen mysis/brine about once or twice a week.

6. dumbderk

ok, I have had it for about 2 days and have been doing oyster feast, good to know I need larger foods :)

7. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Nah should be fine as long as it was handled ok,meaning, you/or who ever did not pick it up before it closed up all the way..but it looks fine. just feed it every so often and give it some time to adjust ..mine does weird things some times,but has been with me for some time now..

8. Click Here!

9. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

The elegance looks great and there is very nice coloration. It looks to be very healthy! Don't worry about it. Just remember to feed it and keep your params in check and it will do great :) JJL

10. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

heres my orange tipped one..
    [​IMG]

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Your elegance looks great and happy. But I have read they are hard to keep and don't live too long in tanks. Good luck with yours!

12. cwinn

cwinn Astrea Snail

looks good to me. i've also heard handling of the elegance when placing it in the tank is crucial