Does freshly made saltwater need to sit

Discussion in 'Salt' started by TMartinez, Sep 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TMartinez

TMartinez Bristle Worm

The tank is 90g and I have roughly 25g in the container now (Brute 32g trash). It said 1/2 cup per gallon so I added 10 cups and I have a powerhead in there moving water around. I am using IO salt and so I'm sure the 1/2 cup per gallon is for 1.022 but I'm aiming for 1.025. I didn't add 25 1/2 cups because I'm not sure of the exact volume currently

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Agreed, and for me that's only 2 hours with the water heated to 78F and a maxi-jet 1200 stirring in a 5g bucket. :)

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I use a whisk to get my salt dissolved then run a pump overnight to make sure it is dissolved and aerated to get any gasses from the salt dissolving out.

5. cdc

cdc Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I need to change how I do a water change. I use Instant Ocean and my water is stored in the house so its at room temp already. I mix my salt with a power head and add it to the tank as soon as its appears dissolved and the salt level matches.

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Really every system is different, and if your salinity is staying stable in the tank through water changes and livestock is doing well, there's no reason to change it. Good systems crash because we're always looking for the next best thing and changing things. If it's not broke, don't fix it!

7. TMartinez

TMartinez Bristle Worm

True That!

8. Click Here!

9. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

That would be letting it sit, no?

10. Bustopher

Bustopher Skunk Shrimp

I did this, I would always overshoot past because I would add more salt when the mix was low. Then when I went to add it, it was to high.
    Only takes a max of an hour with a powerhead for me. Usually 10mins. From 30ppt to 35ppt.

I have found a visual queue for me is when the Water goes from cloudy to crystal clear it's ready. Double check with the refractometer and GTG.