does distilled water need to be dechlorinated, or just add salt?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Solowkoe, Aug 20, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Solowkoe

Solowkoe Astrea Snail

does distilled water need to be dechlorinated, or just add salt? also, how long after adding salt do i have to wait till adding LS and LR?

2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Distilled water pretty much has NOTHING in it. That includes chlorines and other cleaning agents. It has nothing, not even minerals. I've read about distilled water being unsafe for reef. If you search on google, a few articles will pop up. Something to do with the minerals in the tank bonding with the distilled water causing a rauckus. Research.

When you add the salt to the distilled water, be sure to prep it in a tub, then check the salinity with your hydrometer. You can add it as soon as the salt level matches your tanks level to prevent a hike. You might also want to use freshwater for topoff since evaporation will raise your salinity in your tank. Monitor, monitor, monitor.

4. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

Some brands of distilled water has copper in it.

5. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Also, regardless of the type of water you use, you should aerate it. I tend to make mine the day before and then aerate it over night before use.