Does Base Rock Leach Phosphate?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by SeminoleB, Feb 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SeminoleB

SeminoleB Coral Banded Shrimp

My LFS told me that if I use base rock to start up my tank that I will constantly be fighting phosphates. Is this true for every type of base rock? Should I use some type of phosphate remover while I cure my tank if I use base rock? Thanks in advance for replies.

2. Click Here!

3. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Imo your lfs just wants you to buy there live rock.
    I used brs dry rock and its just fine. Along with hundreds other people that are just fine.

4. SeminoleB

Thank you! I am part of the BRS group buy and am thinking of getting some of the reef saver EcoRox. Appreciate the reply!

5. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Any kind of rock could possibly contain (and therefore leach) phosphate. Don't over-analyze it or you will drive yourself nuts. Just get yourself some GFO and use it constantly and you'll have nothing to worry about (as long as you don't use too much to begin with- I started with 2 teaspoons for a 20g). I now use 3 teaspoons for a 20g tank and replace it every 2-3 weeks. No algae/phosphate issues whatsoever (and this is coming from someone who used live-rock with tap water for 12 years- want to talk about leaching phosphate lol).

6. SeminoleB

Cool. Thank you. I just ordered some rock from BRS and I will use GFO for any phos issues. I just see all the posts off people fighting aiptasia and I want to start fresh! Plus, I like the fact that I can aquascape then add water.

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1 Guess the old "your water will get slimy without LR" line wasn't working too well.

I'm one who will pick up 1 or 2 pieces of base at a random LFS, rinse off the dust, and plop it into my existing system. I've never had any issues with phosphates or nuisance algae as a result.

FWIW, most reputable dealers will warn you if a particular type of rock is "dirty" and needs to be cleaned and cured before adding it to your tank.

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Yeah, the LFS wants you to spend more money... Live rock is no different than base rock really. Either can leach phosphates. So, like live rock, you may need to cure base rock as well. Any rock that has something that was once living, could potentially release phosphates back into the system. Often it is not necessary, but sometimes it is. If your worried, it doesn't hurt to cure it.

1 person likes this.
  10. SeminoleB

I figured as much. I am starting a new tank so I am going with base rock and dead sand. May seed it with some live sand from a friend's tank but that's about it

11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Just keep in mind not all baserock is created equal.It always used to worry me using any base rock that was taken from Florida. This entire state has been farmed for years dumping huge ammounts of phosphates and other nasties into our water and ground.(Thats not to say any other places baserock is mined are any better)While there is always a risk of something leaching out of baserock IMO it is still better then the addition of unwelcomed guests that are possible with LR. At least with Phosphates there is an easy remedy to remove it.

12. SeminoleB

I ordered some reefsaver EcoRox from BRS. I dont think it's from Florida. And +1 on the "unwelcomed guests," I want to start out dead and start my own cycle. Plus the fact that I can drill and set up my aquascape dry is what kinda started me on using dry rock in the first place.