Does Anyone Use Evolution or Maxspec LEDs?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by thepanfish, Feb 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

I was looking at either 2 of these for my 120
    Evolution LED [200 Watt] 3G

Features:
    • Wide-screen design, big face for LED to emit more effective light.
    • Two [2] year warranty through Evolution LED located in Colorado.
    • Two[2] quality fans on reverse side to run against heat.
    • One [1] single cord with timer to control blue/white separately
    • Hanging hardware included.
    Or 2 Maxspec 160w

I am unsure because maxspecs have gotten good reviews but cant find anything about evolutions......

Oh and I cannot DIY because I would end up making a huge mess of everything

2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I've heard great things about the MaxSpec on other forums. I think you read the evolution review? The problem was the heatsink and 1W leds. From what I understand, LEDs don't do so well if they overheat. They loose output quickly and don't last. I don't know how tough it is to get to the fans to clean them. Also, the 1W leds just don't pack much punch.

On other forums I've seen mixed reviews of the Evolution. Some people do really like them, so, you may be fine with it. For the price, it's almost worth trying, but also sounds too good to be true. I would still be a bit hesitant with the 1W leds though, but that's me, depends what you want to keep I guess. And they do have a two year warranty, if they do burn out after that, maybe there will be something else even better and cheaper than whats out today.

On the other hand, the MaxSpec uses 3W leds and is supposed to be built extremely well. So odds are, you'll still be quite happy with it in two years, but you pay a premium. I can't really speak for personal experience, with either though, I can only regurgitate what I've heard from others. If you search around the net though, there is definitely info on both.

5. noodles

noodles Plankton

Ive been using the evolution 200 watts 2g for five months and everything seems to love them. Oh yeah i have the 14k.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

There are a couple detailed reviews of Maxspects with pics on this site if you dig a bit.

7. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

dig dig dig............aha here we go! Thanks matt!

8. Click Here!

9. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

I have seen the Evolution lights in person. The coral colors definitely pop. This is definitley what you want if you are selling or showing off coral as Reef-Koi was at the event. I cannot speak for how they will do long term because I have know no one who purchased them for anything other than reef event displays. From what I have seen they are very similar to the Boost LED MU series with lots of 1 watt LEDs.

Our club is raffleing off a Maxspect 160 w on Friday. Last month we fired it up and there was not a person in the room that was not impressed. One of our club members had a couple on his tank and loves them.

I will say the Evolution is much bluer to the eye however the maxspect was far brighter and whiter in appearance.

10. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Yeah Reef-Koi came to our annual MMMC swap, the Evos had great color, but they were smallish and not super bright like some of the AIs people had. The brightest I saw was Acan LED