Does anyone make thier own food?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by evojoe67, Feb 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. evojoe67

evojoe67 Aiptasia Anemone

May be a misleading thread title, but i was wondering if any of you reefers has a cheaper alturnative to buying frozen food from the LFS?
    I think i heard a guy at my LFS say he buys the frozen shrinmps from the supermarket, and cuts them up. Is this cheaper then buying the frozen stuff At the LFS? Does it last longer? Are there any other supermarket foods that we can mix to not only save $ in todays economy, but to give a more balanced diet to our little buddies?

2. Click Here!

3. mile high reefer

mile high reefer Fire Shrimp

are you looking for fish or coral food. I have my wife make my food I used to when I was single.lol

4. evojoe67

Fish Food, Coral food, whatever. In todays economy we need all the help we can get.

5. mile high reefer

mile high reefer Fire Shrimp

There is a recipe in my coral book sound kind of expensive to make but you can freeze it and it would last forever. So in the long run it would be way cheaper. I do buy raw frozen shrimp from store and chop off a small piece to feed tank they love it. If you want I will send you a copy of it.

6. BorntoReef

BorntoReef Fire Worm

I heard some expert hobbyists make their own flake food for both fresh and saltwater... to me, it's just a hassle, but i'd love to save money. If you find yourself in a financial problem with the aquarium, set up a frag rack. I know it's going to help me once i get my zoanthids. Just a possibility.

7. evojoe67

Sure, that would be great, thanks. I was just wondering about this. I thought maybe making our own food would be better, not only for $ but also a more balanced diet. Like mixing in all aspects of the fishes diet as opposed to just mysis, or brine. Just a thought.

8. Click Here!

9. james37128

james37128 Coral Banded Shrimp

I make my own food, fish and coral alike love it. I use a mix of... shrimp, squid, roe, small white fish (have no idea what they are) that the locals in japan put on plain rice, scallops, and a mix of different nori, a few cloves of very finely chopped garlic, garlic extract, and selcon. Put it all in a blender until it has a pretty thick consistency (roe goes in last to not chop up the eggs). Then I use one of those tiny ice cube trays to make good sized cube servings (when I am not home I don't have to worry about my wife overfeeding). To get them out of the ice tray is a pain, one at a time with a steak knife. Works well for me, the ice cube tray I use is pretty much exactly the same size cube you would get brine shrimp in.

10. losttvseries

losttvseries Plankton