Does anyone know how to make a co2 reactor

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by Guest, Jul 10, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

hey guys its me again just wanted to say thanks for all your help last time i got the tank up and running but my plants are starting to fade so i heard you can make a great and cheap co2 reactor out of a coke bottle

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Plants are fading?
    Are you feeding them any thing?
    How often do you feed the fish?

Kent Marine makes liquid supplements that may help.

Here is a pic of a CO[sub]2[/sub] reactor I made:

[​IMG]

I modeled it after this setup:

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/DIY_CO2.html

Hope that helps Matt.

:)

4. Guest

Guest Guest

fading as in fading away there dieing and i know co2 will bring them back and bring them back fast

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well, how about some of the questions I posted? That info would be helpful too.  ;)

EDIT: JUST CURIOUS. I found my plants were fading until I upped feeding to twice a day. Old lights might do it too.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

well what if i make a co2 reactor out of a coke bottle add the sugar and yeast , run an airline out of the top of the bottle, then drill a hole in the water intake in my filter and as the water goes though the propellers of the filter it would mix the co2 into the take and i don't have to worry about any of that.

7. cannon2222

cannon2222 Spaghetti Worm

8. Click Here!

9. counterstrike526

counterstrike526 Plankton

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=matt link=board=Freshwater;num=1089499526;start=0#4 date=07/10/04 at 19:20:29]well what if i make a co2 reactor out of a coke bottle add the sugar and yeast , run an airline out of the top of the bottle, then drill a hole in the water intake in my filter and as the water goes though the propellers of the filter it would mix the co2 into the take and i don't have to worry about any of that.[/quote]

I had similar thoughts, opted to put the output near the biowheel because I was unsure what the effect would be when it passed through the carbon. Still don't know actually.

Diffusers are pretty cheap actually, you use a bottle for the yeast and suger and just buy the diffuser. Most aren't as big as the one in the diagram I posted.

Thanks for joining! :)

@cannon - I've seen that one in action. It's pretty neat to watch the bubbles go down the ramps!

11. counterstrike526

counterstrike526 Plankton

thanks ill have to check that diffuser out

12. Redbeard

Redbeard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

If you have fish in your planted tank watch out for pH swings. The co2 will drop the pH, plants start giving off co2 lowering the pH during lights out. When the lights come on the plants start giving of O2 causing the pH to climb.

My diy co2 reactor consists of a mini gravel vac which is connected to the output of a small power head with airline from the yeast bottle going into the large rigid end of the of the vac. The co2 rises against the flow from the power head dissolving into the water.

The power head is on the same timer as the lights so the reactor stops when the lights go out keeping the pH swing to a minimum.

Because fermentations start out slow then pick up after a day or two then slow down as they finish, I use two bottles with an in line T and rotate the bottles changing one every week but leaving each one to ferment for 2 weeks. This seems to keep the flow of co2 fairly constant.

Cost about 15$ US and takes about 5 minutes a week.