does anyone know about these LEDs

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by brunoboarder244, Dec 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Man, I read till my eyes bled on this! On another site, it was 50/50 on if bridgelux were as good! The overall consensus was just add a few more and add dimmable and run them at 75% so instead of 24 Cree per side, run 36 Bridglux on meanwell dimmable drivers! Def in the under $450 range with a little creative work on your behalf, and about a 8 hour build time! get the thermal epoxy so you dont have to drill the heatsink! (downside, more of a ***** to change leds if you need to!)

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

4. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

reef koi has some good lights from what I hear from everyone else...someone from my local reef club is posting a set of non dimmables he has them listed as 100w 20k reefkoi nondimmables but reef koi makes 120 non dimmables so I assume thats what he meant going for $400 for 2 fixtures 9 months used still under warranty

Evolution LED Light 120w 1G [20K] : REEFKOI CORALS, SPS, LPS, Zoanthids

I really want to go the dimmable route but this is hittting my price range, does anyone know if theres a way to change out the drivers for a dimmable one? :/

5. Slacking02

Slacking02 Astrea Snail

i dont know if anyone has ever heard of alibaba.com?
    i was told about it from a co-worker and its like an eBay but it puts you in contact
    directly with the manufactuer of the product. ive been on the website and typed
    in "reef led lights" and come up with some intresting lights, similar to what retailers
    are selling here in the US. heres a link to the led lights: http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?SearchText=reef+led+lights&Country=&IndexArea=product_en&fsb=y
    I have never bought anything from this website but id just thought id share...

6. brunoboarder244

so i relooked into a link you posted on another thread and i find that even though it costs a lot in shipping it is still cheaper to go with this kit and 2 or 3 heat sinks from these guys, i just emailed asking if i can substitute the maxwell drivers for meanwells and pay the difference....did anyone say these guys arent a reliable source or anything?

Aquarium 72 LEDs Dimmable DIY LED kit with optics

7. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

There is a lot of debate on Cree vs. Bridgelux, but not really any real data to support one being better than the other...I know a number of people who have purchased from the link you posted and have been very happy.

8. Click Here!

9. brunoboarder244

does anyone have a picture of what their tank looks like with those lights

also what exactly is the problem with maxwell ballast vs meanwells other than noise?

i think i might either do them or someone at my local reef club is selling some meanwell ballast for like $20 each so i may go with them and rapid LEDs im not sure yet

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

heard ok things!

On another forum, most people were saying good things and they could swap out the drivers! They were saying shipping took a bit! I know the other site will let you and you can actually call them and change up the blue white ratio!

That one kit used for sale look like a good deal! Heard great things about them! i think you can use a controller to dim them! Check on that though!

11. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

12. brunoboarder244