does anyone know about these LEDs

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by brunoboarder244, Dec 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

I found these LEDs on ebay for a decent price the brand is REEFCHOICE, yes I understand ebay tends to be poor products but I see that this fixture is made with cree LEDs and ive been emailing back and forth with the maker to find out more info and just about the only thing else i need to know is what kind of drivers it uses

the only thing i dont like is that it isnt dimmable but neither is a MH bulb

I said to them:

Hey I am interested in your fixtures however I was wondering if I could get better specifications like what kind of drivers are used, the size of the fans, do the fans have speed controls, is there a dimmer for both blue and white, are both blue and white LEDs cree, what kind of coverage will a light like this have in surface area, what would you recommend for a 55 gallon mixed reef, is there a hanging kit included or other hardware, etc? I would definitely be interested in buying a fixture or so if you could give me as much information on this fixture as possible...the more information you could offer the easier it would be for me to make a choice. Thanks for your time and for the information. :)

Very Respectfully, Louis Bruno

They replied:

Hey There
    ok Im going to try and answer all of your questions .... if i forget something just reply back!

- 650ma pre set and non dimmable drivers
    - 3x 3" electronic bearing-less plastic cooling fans thermostatic controll module to increase and decrease cfm as required
    - yes both leds are xpe and xpg without any lens/ optics
    -coverage area on these sets are 24" x 24" X 36" deep
    -depending on what your goal is as far as sps, lps or your typical mixed lps/ soft coral tank i would go with 2 fixtures if your intent is to go mainly sps (acro's) i would go with 3 these lights are incredibly bright and chalice coral, monti's and most non delicate acro's will thrive under them
    - the kits come with the ****tiest hanging system ever invented lol... that being said i use a 2.5" galvanized L-bracket from the homedepot $2.97 for the kit and a 3/8" self tapping screw...on the sides of the unit i tap in the brackets top dead center on left and right sides and it works great.... 3/8" screw only! any longer and you might hit a driver.
    in a week or so i will have the same fixtures with 90 degree optical lenses... because of the high demand for them i am accepting pre orders and expect them within 7-10 business days. the fixture in this auction is available today for shipment tomorrow. you can call or text for pictures of the new model. 305-393-7333 cost of the optical REEFCHOICE 120 is $249.99
    thanks and i hope i answered all your questions

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

when i get more info i'll post up here but is anyone else familiar with this fixture?

2. Click Here!

3. brunoboarder244

also when i asked about if they were dimmable or upgradeable to dimmable this was the response i got

hi there there dimmers for what your asking for is no necessary.... they are 3 watt lights running at 680ma sooo they are really only pushing 2.25 watts.... thus extending the life and keeping the unit cool to the touch while still hitting a 1180 par at 10" and 884 par at 24"

the.dimms are available.but are quite costly adding about $80 to the unit. i designed these systems to eliminate the need to dim.... you can also plug them in to a reef.keeper or neptune for light control :)

- atlanticmarine

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Bruno, I'm by far anything from an expert, what i am is someone that's red up on cheap led solutions till the cow comes home for the last week or so, also talking to alot of people, and getting feedback about it! That being said here would be my concerns, anf like i said, only bringing up stuff that was brought to my attention on a few forums about kits/cheap lights;

1. the housing is powder coated steel! Steel above salt water may be a bad mix
    2. 1:1 white blue ratio isn't the ratio most fixtures are running, most seem to prefer more blues, so can you change them out if you don't like it?
    3. I think you'll really want dimmable to acclimate your tank to them! I guess this could be done by changing the height! But dimmable seems to be the way to go, and maxwell drivers get hot as hell and buzz! so ive been repeatedly told! Meanwell seems to be the way to go!
    4. Also pretty much every company I've talked to said 48 Cree xp-g 3 watt is more than enough to keep whatever you want! So he's saying 55 times 3? That is coming from ecozotic, Cree, MD, AI Sol, etc! They all basically told me 1 24 led system per side is all you need!
    5. He only has 6 feedbacks for frags and now he's selling highly manufactured, very polished systems he's designed??? They look very manufactured on a large scale!(This is my own opinion as a frequent ebay buyer! Not sure i'd pull the trigger on $500 worth of lights with that basis!) But if you paypal you're fine, they've always covered me!

So if you buy them you'll prob replace the drivers, $33 a pop plus dimmer controls, $30 ish! So $450 for the lights with shipping plus $100, you're at $550! And that's for 2 of them not 3 like he rec if you're going SPS!

I went with Jon at reefwerks.com He's setting me up with 48 xp-g and xp-e 3 watts, 24 per side, meanwell dimmable drivers with controls, fans with controls, moonlight led's, hanging kit, shipped for $605! Now I don't have them yet, so we will see, but he called back everytime i called answered my questions and built what i wanted! He's also using plug and play led's so i can easily swap around color options, or upgrade led's in the future! he also offers free led replacement for life!

Or you could put your own system together thru Rapidled for about the same cost!

Or go the Bridglux way for about $350-400

This is from a NOOB after hours and hours of reading and phone calling differnet manufacturers! Far from an expert!!!!! Just my 2 cents!

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

sorry for the book!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2011
  6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

maybe without the optics you would need 3 cause you're gonna have to hang them kinda high so the different colors don't "spotlight"

7. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

That looks just like the units coming out of China under about 27 different names, LOL! I have not seen one first hand, but I get emails almost daily trying to get me to buy a case of the them. I do know a couple of folks that have purchased them and they are happy with them thus far. Here are the threads of 2 folks local to me that have what I believe is the same unit.

Reviews -> 120W LED Fixtures installed//pictures and review inside

Mitzzi's 37g cube build

Unfortunately, I think the link you provided may be to an unethical seller. Unless I'm very mistaken and it's not the same light, it does not use Cree LED's. It looks like to me that seller knows that people look for "Cree" and is using that to attract buyers and justify a higher price.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Reefaholic that makes sense!

55 Cree's cost almost as much as $229 without the rest of the stuff! No way they're desgned and built here for that price!

10. brunoboarder244

thanks for the input everyone thats why i was getting in touch with everyone here to see how they felt....my original route was going to be DIY but Ive been finding it hard to find time so I was going to see if I could get an evolution my reef koi used for about the same price as these and these popped up so I decided to see if anyone knows if there claims hold any water...looks like I'm back to the DIY way unless i can find different fixtures

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

You can do the 48 led Cree system for about $500 with Meanwell dimmable drivers! Def sub out for the maxwells and thats pretty much everything! I chose to be lazier and have reefwerks build it for $605 shipped, plues he's adding moonlight, housing, warranty, plug and play(which i think is huge so I can change it up if i don't like the configuration)! Kinda wished I did it myself, but then again kinda not! Would've hated rushing it, missed a solder, and blew up the whole line! Good luck with what ya do!

12. brunoboarder244

yea :/ im torn and $500 is my absolute max I want to try and go for $400-$450