Does anyone breed ghost shrimp or brine for food?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by reefer Bob, Jan 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I am wondering if you can have success in breeding ghost shrimp for feeding my ghost eel and for feeding future lionfish?

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Ghost shrimp is very hard to do...I was thinking about doing that when I had my angler. Do some research on the process...if I can find the articles I will post them, but it is very very difficult.

I would simply buy 20-40 of them at a time...one of the LFS knew to keep them in stock for me. I would have a 10g tank set up and would keep them in there.

There is a lot of arguement on this....but I also bred mollies. I fed them high quality food, gut loaded them and kept close eye on them.

For your lion though try to get them to eat frozen. I was able to acclimate mine after a while. I would wathc the feeding habits of him...how he approached the fish, etc. I would then take frozen krill and soak it in garlic and HUFA and then I would place it on a feeding stick. I would mimic the way the fish swim in the water (and how my lion responded) and when he did not eat it...he got nothing. Did that for a couple days and by then he decided that the "fake shrimp" was better then nothing and ate it. Unfortunately doesnt always work..could never get my anglers to eat frozen

4. reefer Bob

I tried to keep some ghost a while back and they didnt last long, I also tried to do mollies, they reproduce good but I think the others were eating the babies. Then most the adults died and a group of babies made it. So now they had another set of babies and I'll see if they live. I would like to be able to keep some feeders so I dont have to do frozen or go to the lfs every week or so.

5. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

I used to grow mysids but it is more labour intensive than growing brine shrimp as you need separate containers for all age groups being that they are cannabolistic. They also don't reproduce in any numbers, nor do they mature anywhere near as fast as the brine.
    You could read this on a mysid generator.
    http://www.mblaquaculture.com/assets/docs/MBL_AQ_Mysid_Generator.pdf

I grow brine shrimp to adult for my own use with a dwarf lion and for my seahorses, as well as supplying hobbyists in my area.
    brine shrimp

6. reefer Bob

Wow that is a lot of work for brine. I am gonna have a 75g tank to try for a breeder and I think I will go simple and go with mollies. I will probably get more large fish, so I'll need larger food.

7. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

You might want to rethink that also.
    It is not recommended to feed marine fish, non marine foods as in mollies.
    Salt water fish have needs that aren't found in mollies or guppies or gold fish so that their life span is severely shortened when feeding on these foods.
    I used the brine to gradually get my lion on frozen brine shrimp, by mixing frozen in with the live, gradually increasing the percentage of frozen until he was weaned off the live.
    I still feed him live sometimes in order to get more fatty acid content into his diet by gut loading with Super Selco and AgriMac.
    As for the seahorses, they are fed frozen PE Mysis mostly but again, I use gut loaded brine to get spirulina and AgriMac into them. Some keepers use brine to get meds to the horses as well.

8. Click Here!

9. reefer Bob

Bummer, good to know though. You have to medicate seahorses too? Are ghost shrimp considered to be non nutritious wise?

10. Bizzarro

Bizzarro Plankton

Mollies can live in saltwater and brackish, I would consider them food for marine fishes.

11. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

Just the ability to live in salt water does not give them the nutrient profile required by normal salt water fish.

12. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

Ghost shrimp work ok but best when gut loaded with products like spirulina or AgriMac or Super Selco.