Do You Use Carbon?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by tatted4ever, Jan 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Do You Use Carbon?

1. Yes

86.0%
  2. No

14.0%
  1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Petty much the same deal I fought when I took over the coral farming operation The owner/Biologist was like no you can't just jack up water like this and toss in Carbon or use ozone and yadda , My first day there I took DK from 7 to 13 Ca from 320 to 450 Mag from 700 to 1500 and added ozone and filled a 2 gal bucket with carbon .

He called me that night pissed and screaming all my corals are toast I mean dead all this time and $$$$$$$$ Next morn I figured I was toast myself went in and as I told him all the corals where clean of all slime and looked fine he was still stressed and I went to work banging the levels back up to my levels LOL 2 weeks later his wife looked in and said well I'm not sure what you are doing but these corals or our house system never looked so pretty , All the corals are so colorful..

And they we where selling tons of them to many high dollar shops around the country as well as Locally and retail to those who wanted to stop by . Next 2 guys went back to the what the books say and I was told last Saturday by the Former Boss that unless I would take over again and move it all to home here since I can not get to work or drive to work even let alone stand . he was going to pull the plug This past Sunday they started to haul over equipment . And I'll be using Carbon just ordered 500 lbs ..

They now run Carbon in all the clients systems also . I'm just happy I work from real experience nothing I ever read.. hell when I started there was nothing to read :)

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Looks like carbon is a winner from the two post of some solid testimonies. thanks guys for telling us your experiences that should teach all of us something.... Carbon does a tank some good.

Ive only read good things here in this thread. Nothing negative about carbon which is refreshing to the situation im in.

Thanks Everyone.

4. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

im very new to reef keeping so i cant say how carbon will or will not effect my current mixed-reef build. i can tell you that carbon has done wonders for me in my cichlid tanks.

without it i have crazy algae blooms, unclear water, a yellow tint (prolly from all the real plants living in the tanks), and with carbon these things are all absent.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I'm sad that they are shutting down but I'm real happy that they are moving everything to your house. That's awesome!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Geoff is only shutting down the coral propogation portion of the business. He will still be consulting, building and maintaining aquarium systems. :D

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes I will still be doing any dry goods and materials Geoff just got fed up with the local quality of help.. He is now in N.Y setting up a 20,000 Gal system as the original designer had to pull out to Arizona to do a 250 K system ,
    And since I can't stand long or drive to get to the propagation systems to hands on supervise it and or the watch the help Geoff Called me last week to ask is I could come over there Saturday as he was just to swamped to stop by , I got the boss to run me over and this is what we hit upon. Lots of quality corals left just not in the shape I had them in , And many local buyers had complained as did a few in Texas who where large accounts that we ship to .I'll get them back in a few months . And Geoff said his name and mine where on it all so it was either pull the plug or arrange this set up here . So here we be LOL setting up 10 ft troughs and wiring and hanging lighting and plumbing the pumps :)

And the beat goes on LOL

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

But now you are going to have your own ocean view in the basement. 8)

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yeah...uh...yippee :D

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

But it will not smell like a ocean atleast I use Carbon LOL I hope to maybe work a deal with a local idiot that signed a 10 yr lease on a huge commercial area just before he went out of business , I'm thinking maybe rent a area there ? or Build a hot house here ? All depending on how this leg get later on ? Oh did you get your carbon yet ? Sorry aboiut that buddy ..

12. that fish guy

that fish guy Flamingo Tongue

I've always used carbon and I have never had any issues of it bothering my sps corals