Do You Use Carbon?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by tatted4ever, Jan 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Do You Use Carbon?

1. Yes

86.0%
  2. No

14.0%
  1. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Weird, I've never heard of someone running too much carbon before. I would imagine someone running zeovit or similar would have really clean water like yours. Maybe it's something your missing? The only thing that I can really think of, is maybe they were used to the amount of DOC's you had before, and when you put the media in it striped them out of the water fairly quick and they are not getting the full nutrients..? I dunno, just thinking out loud I guess.. I hope you fidn the answer soon, SPS's are my favorite..:( What types do you keep and which if all are being effected?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

4. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Maybe old bulbs? Newly replaced bulbs?(light shock), Is something maybe picking at them? Just trying to get a better understanding of your tank.

5. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

6. nwfd1725

nwfd1725 Purple Spiny Lobster

seems like i heard one time when i was getting media for my tank the first time the lfs asked me what i would be running when i picked up my phos remover. Reason being there was something in the kind i got that sps didnt like that would leak into the water, cant remember for the life of me what it is, so might check your media or look into possibly a different kind heres a link to what i run and what he reccommended for sps, granit it is the only two the lfs caries so im sure there are more out there

PURA PhosLock

Seachem PhosGuard

first one is the one i use the second is the one he said for sps hope this helps someway im still a newbie so bare with me lol

1 person likes this.
  7. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

The beginner sps have turned to the advanced ones to keep for me. Digitatas and seriatapora hystrix mainly. Other than that the rest are doing ok with great coloration.

Im do for new bulbs on my mh's in spring. Cf's were just replaced. Possibly. I have no unwanted algaes though.

interesting.

FWIW I pulled the plug on my PO4 reactor. Also removed carbon off my system. Going back to how Ive had it when I had some great success. Only reason I through PFO on my tank is cause I tested high in po4's after some accidents.
    Carbon was introduced cause of the accidents also.

So Interesting to see how my tank turns around. Im not permanently removing the media. If things turna around in the next couple of weeks then Ill be happy. Then ill intorduce the media in small amounts to my system. probably my mistake from the beginning.

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I run it 24/7 with no problems. Actually my wife tells me when it needs changed cause she can smell the water again.. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

+1 on using carbon 24/7

having read the threads PGreef provided on the use of GFO and the potential problems that causes (Inwall mentioned Alk dropping on this thread also) I will say that
    having used Aquamedics GFO (availability here is an issue on some brands) which just indicates a QTY you should use based on tank size - I recently swapped to Tropic Marin,s long life GFO product and the instructions on their product indicates that if your inhabitants are used to a degree of phosphate then you should gradually build up to the required QTY for size of tank, rather than just use that QTY straight away

having thought about that in conjunction with the posts here and the comments on the links provided , it may be a case that just as with any other parameter change, it needs to be done gradually so as not to shock your live stock, with rapid changes

because we all know that that rapid "percieved" improvements can be more damaging than slow deteriorations

Steve

1 person likes this.
  11. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

+1... from what I have learned the hard way at this time.

i was in desperate need of improvement when I was going through some trouble months back. And the short term improvement has caused me long term struggle.

So.. Ive been humbled once again in this hobby. Sps is by far the most humbling thing I have had to deal with in this hobby.

1 person likes this.
  12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

How many of you guys not using carbon ever preformed a yellow water test on you tanks ? It may surprise you , Its a low tech and old school test but it may really make you say Huuum :) If you have an refugium or feed your fish then your water could use carbon