Do You Use Carbon?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by tatted4ever, Jan 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Do You Use Carbon?

1. Yes

86.0%
  2. No

14.0%
  1. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I was running the reactor half-full of Black Diamond carbon by the way.

On the positive side for carbon I did see improvement in the look of my green open brain. He has been closed up for about a year and a half. When I bought it was always very fully extended and very fleshy. My nitrates went up to about 40 or so and the brain became very contracted. I thought I would lose it. Nitrates have been near 0 for the last year and a half and the extension never came back fully. I started seeing some extension again over the last few weeks. Maybe due to the carbon.

[​IMG]

It has swelled up to the point that I need to move that Merulina out of the way.

We'll see what happens after the carbon is out for a few weeks. I've added some fish over the last weeks and feeding every day while they are getting acclimated rather than every other day as I normally do so there are a couple of variables at play. May be hard to know for sure.

2. Click Here!

3. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Here the media I use for phosphate removal. runnig too much media on my system could be the problem too.
    Eco-Phos Phosphate Removal Media, COARSE, by Ecosystem Aquarium - AquaCave

Im just trying to rule things out. I know it almost seems unlikely but need to be sure that carbon wont have any ill effects on my tank.

4. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I've read numerous threads about RTN occurring from running GFO. I'd pull out the GFO. What was your phosphate level before GFO? I use chaeto to export phosphate. Also, feed only frozen food. Flake is loaded with phosphate. I'm assuming you're already using RO/DI.

5. tatted4ever

Ive never put serious thought into any media until about 4 months ago when I had a massive system breakdown with a couple of accidents on my tank.

Ever since then I cant get things fully back on track since I now have media on my tank.

yea everything else checks ok.... cant fully grasp whats giving me these problems.

LPS, fish, zoas, and clam all fine. most of my sps are ok. but Im having the problematic pieces. For example something like a measely birds nest is getting rtn after a week or so in my tank.

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

People have reported down turn with aluminum based phos removers.

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I am trying out seachem's renew

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. tatted4ever

I also have some great coloring in my acro specied sps. but even measely digitatas crap out on me. Im baffled.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

All the more reason that you should run carbon if using theses plants

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Why is that?

luna

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

A lot of the yellowing of the water that people experience in their reef tanks are due to various plants/algaes. (Phenols, terpenoids, and such).