Do you use Activated Carbon in your reef?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by reefnJeff, Apr 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

The use of canisters does not mean Nitrates just appear out of nowhere.(Nitrate Fairy....maybe;D) Canisters are usually harder to clean then HOB's so people tend to neglect the maintenance on them.This is the only reason IMO a canister filter could be a problem in your system. Any unmaintained filter will become a nitrate factory including HOB'S. As long as you have ample LR in your system the loss of a small portion of bacteria should not be an isuue. Sorry to derail a bit. I use Chemi pure regularly. IMO its better to keep the water as clean as possible before a problem presents itself.Not after.;)

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i used carbon, and recently tried clear fx pro buy blue life ( is a carbon mixed product) . I'm not sure why or whats in it that lowered my alk and raised my ph. this i could never get correct no matter what i tried. i ran kalk to keep ph up). i noticed my ph dropping after 2 months of having it in my reactor, than i added a new bag and pop back into perfect range my ph went.
    oh i no longer run kalk

1 person likes this.
  4. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

I try to keep my canister cleaned regularly. I also have a HOB and a wet/Dry trickle filter. Just tested Nitrates and it says zero atm. I use bio balls but they remain pretty clean because of the other mech. filtration I think. Guess I will just keep testing for the nitrates.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I use Black Diamond GAC in my HOB. Keeps my water and tank sparkling clean. :)

6. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

..once you go GAC..you'll never go back ! : )

7. lillys Grandad

...found the olives... : )

8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

lol, I'm glad you found them finally

1 person likes this.
  10. lillys Grandad

they were never really lost...I just wanted the garlic stuffed...kinda spoiled in that regard...but keep in mind, vodka dosing is an essential element.. ; ) ..at least on Fridays anyhow. : )
    ...but now that liquor is cheaper than gas...buy all means please drink..don't drive..LOL :)

1 person likes this.
  11. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Cheers!!
    :beer: vodka dosing my tank too! And by "tank" I mean my gut.;D

12. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

my wife complained about the smell of the fish tank for a while, so i started running carbon in my reator and the smell when away, and my water seemed much more crystal clear. i recommend it.