Do you use Activated Carbon in your reef?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by reefnJeff, Apr 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

My water parameters have been pretty good lately, with 0 Ammonia and Nitrites, 10ppm Nitrates and barely detectable level of phosphates, but I have one small problem, my water is slightly cloudy and I think it has something to do with some old coral rubble I picked up off a beach in the Philippines, water should be crystal clear, anyways! I have an Eheim canistor filter I am thinking of setting it up in the tank and use a blend of Chemi-pure Elite, Zeolite and Carbon.
    I always thought the use of this type of filteration in a reef set-up was a definite no no! don't do it, but I done some reading and 1 thing I read was some expert says you should use Carbon in our tanks and it's foolish to think you don't need to, so what's the deal with Carbon in our reef tanks?

2. Click Here!

3. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

IMO,I wouldn't run my tank without carbon.Carbon removes toxins and many other impurities in your water,helping prevent yellowing of the water,bad smells and toxin build up from coral warfare and waste.I'm sure others can chime in on a much more scientific level.I have a bunch of noxious and toxic softies,mainly leathers,so for me,quality reef carbon is a must.

4. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

What carbon do you consider quality carbon? I use Seachem Seagel that has the seachem matrix carbon in it along with phosguard

5. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I use seachem matrix and phosguard both.Many say leathers don't like aluminum based oxide,been using both for over 1 1/2 years,my tank and leathers are thriving.

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

See here I'm the exception to many reefers rules-my tank is over a year old and I don't use carbon at all. Just a fuge with chaeto/LR and bi-weekly water changes. Keeping softies, LPS, nems and a clam :) go figure right?

7. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

. keep doing what you have been doing that was working for you before this issue popped up . and try adding some microbacter7 by brightwells as directed on bottle. your cloudiness sounds like a bacterial issue.

8. Click Here!

9. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

This would be a good time to have a microscope, you mean like as in nitrifying bacteria? so it could just be a bacteria bloom from the cycle? I guess it would be OK to run the canistor filter.

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

yes run your filter. bacteria, I'm no expert at, but its all about balance. the bacter7 i believe will help you. i use it, there are other brands out there also. i have tried a few. honestly i have not seen much difference between them. but i feel they do work and are good to have on hand. Brightwell Aquatics - Microbacter7

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

It is safe to run carbon and chemipure elite in your tank. I would get rid of the canister filter though. If you keep up on cleaning them, they can cause problems with nitrates. It might be the reason you have 10 ppm nitrates right now. Go ahead and get some carbon. I use an aquaclear 50 hob filter to put my carbon and other filter media in. Very easy to maintain that way. Carbon will also help with chemical warfare that goes on between corals in your tank as well.
    Mozilla/4.0 (BREW 3.1.5; U; en-us; Sanyo; NetFront/3.5.1/AMB) Boost SCP6760

12. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Rox 0.8 Activated Carbon from BRS for me...Super clarity. : )