Do you use a ground probe and why?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Robman, Apr 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Do you use a ground probe, and why.

1. Yes, to protect the inhabitants

18 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. Yes, to protect you

15 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. No, Use other means I.E. GFI, Breaker,etc.

17 vote(s)
    27.9%
  4. No, Dont need one.

11 vote(s)
    18.0%
  1. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

This is why I started this poll...I dont think anyone (no offense) really 100% knows the exact truth!! Lots of good info from everyone though. I think everyone should go with what they are comfortable with. Just wanted all the different views to make my decision.

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Well, here's the simplest explanation I can give. In water, there can be a divergent monopole field (I hope I got that right). Basically, water itself can create a ground for what is contained within. An example would be something like the electric eel and other similar animals. Divers, other creatures, whatever can feel the effects of those electrical discharges mid column in water when there is no "true" grounding source around. To say that electrical current can enter the tank, and as long as you have no grounding probe the fish will be fine, is a very wrong misconception.
    A grounding probe will provide the path of least resistance. Meaning, the electrical current will travel through that probe, and not you, other's, or the fish. It's an essential piece of equipment both for your safety and your creatures. An example of long term effects on fish with low voltage current would be hole in the head problems with tangs.
    Like Sparky said, no one here is trying to flame you. But you have taken a horribly false and misconstrued article way too seriously. If you want, I can go out on the web and author an article about how pink ponies conspired with the aliens to take people away but after they bring you back they will give you ice cream. But that's not going to automatically mean that the article is fact ;)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  4. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

No I did not take it as Flaming, That is exactly the explanation I was looking for and could not seem to find!! Thank You. I am an Auto tech and I could not wrap my head around how ANY harm could be done without a path to ground. Just the way I had always understood it. The only thing I have seen that blows my theory a little is that when we lived in an apartment while our house was being built, my computer monitor had a wobble in the pic. We had big power lines going over us and that is what was causing the problem. I thought that was electro magnetic though (IE Powerheads) Not actual current.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

OK gang.

Let's not get all caught up in who's right or the most right. This is a hobby after all. We all enjoy the same thing. Someone I grew up with who was an electrician said I should have a ground probe. For me, it's really that simple. Dean said to use one, so I do. Sadly Dean is no longer with us. One of his co-workers broke a lock-up or lock-down procedure (something like that) and fried my friend instantly.

It's fine if if members disagree. However, if people disagree, there is a respectful way of doing it and this is a friendly reminder to people to disagree respectfully.

1 person likes this.
  6. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Lock-out, Curt.

Serious business in the electrical field. It's when a piece of equipment is locked in the off position, usually, but not always with a lock. That's too bad about Dean. :(

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yep....lock-out. That's it.

8. Click Here!

9. coolridernum1

coolridernum1 Feather Duster

yeah

I to have installed home systems and stuff for that was my job. and already posted about this before "above"

GFCI = way to go.but if a short happens in the tank and then you stick your hand in your tank then the GFCI breaker trips. "i think thats right"
    Probe= still ok. but if something was to short out in tank anything in the path would be dead and the whole house breaker or GFCI would trip which ever is closer

In short you must always use at least a GFCI unit on all outlets next to water. even with a ground probe....And also make sure your outlet is a working grounded outlet. "tester=5 bucks"

Thanks for reading,
    Mike

10. dahos

dahos Feather Duster

for us non-electricians, is changing a standard outlet to a GFCI an easy task?

11. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

It's no more difficult than installing a replacment receptacle, except you must use the terminals that are free (not the ones covered by the sticker). A GFCI receptacle is a deeper device, too, so it's a tiny bit tricky sometimes making sure the wiring can fit in the box with the receptacle itself.

All in all, not a big deal if you've changed a regular receptacle.

12. SimonSKL

SimonSKL Astrea Snail

My regular receptacles are behind the tank and not accessible for replacement so I just bought two plug-in GFCI receptacles and instantly converted my regular outlets to GFCI.