Do you use a calcium reactor?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, Apr 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Do you use a calcium reactor?

1. Yes.

19.3%
  2. No.

80.7%
  1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I was drafted in 1968 and am happy to have lived long enough to age me to this point LOL Nam was the easier part looking back now :)

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I know that when I started the 135, even with the few corals I did have, I was supplimenting a lot more with Mg than Ca. Seemed my Ca was always spot on but the Mg was usually low. I have the old poly reactor and when I set my tank back up, I might have to try that...dolomite? I've heard of that before but what is it and is there anything I need to know about it?

5. ardo_ski

ardo_ski Peppermint Shrimp

Do you use a calcium reactor? Yes
    If so, which one? Reef-Tek - Most bang for your buck.
    How is it working for you? Working Great with a pinpoint PH controller with PH Probe in Reactor

1 person likes this.
  6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Dolomite is simply dolomite a natural earth element that s simply Magnesium and calcium , It was used by us old guys in the early days of marine aquariums as a bottom media it helped to buffer the water with Ca and keep the Ph up a little also its great for Malawi and Tanganyika fish aquariums .

I simply add 3 or 4 Tbls to my reactor when I recharge it and that keeps the mag at 1450 to 1500 all the time . Most feed stores sell it far cheaper then if you go looking for it at an aquarium supply place.. Its dirt cheap to buy like borate and bicarbonates for the buffer's ..

I'm sure there is lots of Technical info on it around the net . But I myself have used it for many yrs as a bottom cover .

1 person likes this.
  7. cuttingras

Thanks Roger! I'll keep this in mind when I set the tank back up. gotta save this thread. Hey dude....how's the leg doing? your writing has been much more coherent lately;). And you're using punctuations more :lol: just saying.......:)

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Leg is still on me LOL As for coherent ? I just took something to make me less coherent .. I get these god awful spasms and a constant burning pain and like a million bee's all stinging at one time that hits 2 or 3 times a day then it fades to a raw burning sensation . Neurologist said it was something called ? RDS or something like that ? Reflex Dystrophy Syndrome the pain kicks my blood pressure way way up . Last orthopedic visit it was mentioned in about 8 months or so I may need one more operation to remove all the screws and plates ?? to see if that will stop the jumping and burning pain.. seems there is no treatment or cure for the problem.. except opiates for pain and Valium like stuff for the spasms . Life's a ***** then you die LOL But who ever got out alive ? But I'm far far better off then many so I'm not complaining.

10. cuttingras

well good, you sound like your old self again! sorry bout the pain though...that can be very tough sometimes. You're still handing out good advice, which I and so many others are grateful for! Thanks Roger!!

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Cool. Thanks J. Good to know.

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing this Tangster. I am making a mental note...