Do you shake your salt?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Biocube, Jan 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Do you mix your salt bucket before making saltwater?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. Never knew!?

16 vote(s)
    45.7%
  1. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

So I just cruising around on Mr.Saltwaters site and I found a few places mentioning "shaking salt". I have NEVER thought or tried shaking my salt before mixing up a fresh batch of saltwater.

Mr. Saltwater Tank TV: Friday AM Quick Tip #1
    "Matt…mixing/shaking the bucket is important as well as testing the first batch of saltwater you make with the new bucket. If the bucket is part of a bad batch, shaking the bucket alone won’t fix the problem."

Please answer the poll, I'm very curious about the results.

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

IMO not a bad idea for cardio and working out, but i doubt it really matters much past the initial purchase. I could see how after shipment and shaking it could layer things out, but once in your home, minus alot of earthquakes, I don't see things layering out. IMO

4. PSU REEFER

PSU REEFER Astrea Snail

I understand testing the 1st batch for the big 3#'s but shaking up? Not here

5. _alex_

_alex_ Feather Duster

I don't see a point to shaking? Did he buy 2 brand new buckets of salt shake one and not the other. Then test the results?? Lol sorry sounds like a good way for someone to hurt them self or break something lol

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Once upon a time, I discovered an inconsistency between batches from the same bucket of salt. Once I learned to shake or stir each new bucket, my tanks have lived happily ever after.

Which would be the most likely reason why some folks have a problem with keeping their parameters dialed in.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Every time. I also mix separate bags together to get a more distributed and consistent result. So if I buy the box of IO with 4 bags, I'll combine and stir them, then shake every time before using.

8. Click Here!

9. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Same here. I do this everytime. I had one batch off with each bag.

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

+3 Every new pail gets shaken, rolled, turned over, etc to try to mix it up. I also dump the bags into the pail and mix it that way too as mentioned. A couple minutes work for the peace of mind is well worth it :)

11. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Along the same topic, but different, is harden salt. For example, what if a lid is left off? The salt will become hard. Would it be acceptable to break it up and continue use?

12. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

You should have a poll option of "I always plan on it, but about half the time I actually do it" lol.

I try to remember to mix it, but I tend to only think about it after I've added the salt :(